Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Default 48.048 khz

i did a pre-record for a movie and for whatever reason, the original recording and the audio off of the camera starts off in sync but drifts.

the editor told me the movie was shot at 48.048 kHz and if i convert my audio to that it will be fine.

whats the best way to convert from 48k to 48.048k?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 AM

Default Re: 48.048 khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cook View Post
i did a pre-record for a movie and for whatever reason, the original recording and the audio off of the camera starts off in sync but drifts.

the editor told me the movie was shot at 48.048 kHz and if i convert my audio to that it will be fine.

whats the best way to convert from 48k to 48.048k?
Hi Bryan,

Not sure but is it possible to start a new session at 48.048k then use import session data and use the sample rate convert option, or maybe you wouldn't even need to use SRC.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 AM

I believe that BarbaBatch by AudioEase can do it, if Chris' solution does not work.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM

You not only need to convert the sample rate, but you need to change the speed of the audio. Create a new session at 48k. Import session data (if your audio files are already in a session - import audio files if not). In the import window, set the Source Sample Rate to 48048 kHz. This will pull your audio down from film speed to video speed.
Of course this is assuming the film was shot at film speed and is being edited at video speed, which is the most likely scenario if the editor is saying that the film was "shot" at 48048 kHz.

HTH
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Might be prudent to find out what rate the film will be dubbed at, which is most likely 48k or 47.952. A lot of guys are shooting their DEVA's at 48.048 for HD and sound supervisors are converting their dailies down to straight 48.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Might be prudent to find out what rate the film will be dubbed at, which is most likely 48k or 47.952. A lot of guys are shooting their DEVA's at 48.048 for HD and sound supervisors are converting their dailies down to straight 48.

Hope this helps.
Yes! I would definitely check with the sound supervisor and/or the editor as to the frame rate the film was shot at, and what frame rate the film will be dubbed at. From the OP's post, if the editor says the film was "shot" at 48048, then it is most likely that the film was shot at true 24 (film) and is being pulled down to 24p (23.976 HD video) or 29.97 for editing.
To the OP, definitely check on the details of the production before you move forward.
I just posted what I thought would be the most likely scenario given the OP's original description.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 AM

thanks to everyone for the speedy and detailed answers. much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM

in case anyone is interested, turns out speed of audio didn't need converting. i don't know anything about Avid, but the Avid editor claims his Avid has to work with 48.048k files. so what was happening was when he imported a 48k file, the Avid changed the speed so it didn't match what was coming off camera. the speed of the music coming off camera matches originally recorded speed, so all i had to do was output as 48.048k without changing speed, and Avid editor pulled it in and it matched.

strange that Avid doesn't have the option to SRC or not on import?