Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Default M-Powered Pro Tools 9

Anyone know why there is an M-Powered version of PT9?

"Enjoy many of the same professional features as Pro Tools 9"

Must be a limited version then?

So confusing...

http://www.m-audio.com/news/en_us-2019.html
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Re: M-Powered Pro Tools 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by polf View Post
Anyone know why there is an M-Powered version of PT9?

Must be a limited version then?

So confusing...

http://www.m-audio.com/news/en_us-2019.html
Been in the works for a while... it even said in the PT9 FAQ that an M-P version was coming.

The idea is pretty simple... a low-cost, limited version for M-Audio hardware. It basically looks like the usual PTMP with ADC, and the upgrade price is $199.

I'd say it's a decent deal for PTMP users who didn't want to pay the $350 but still want ADC.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Product page is live here:
Pro Tools MP 9
( www.m-audio.com/ProToolsMP )
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Read: "Enjoy many of the features which should have been there years ago and it still have the bottleneck of max. 18 physical I/Os. So, still not full support for M-Audio ProFire 2626 and Lightbridge".

EDIT: ...and no Windows XP support. And I can't see anywhere whether MP 9 is able to run with my Music Production Toolkit (version 1) or not. Too risky to update at the moment.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 PM

I thought the idea was to only have "pro tools", and "pro tools hd". Are we back to where we started with another software version to support?

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Been in the works for a while... it even said in the PT9 FAQ that an M-P version was coming.

The idea is pretty simple... a low-cost, limited version for M-Audio hardware. It basically looks like the usual PTMP with ADC, and the upgrade price is $199.

I'd say it's a decent deal for PTMP users who didn't want to pay the $350 but still want ADC.
Oh, okay thanks...

...the last thing i read from Avid was that there was no LE or M-Powered versions anymore - just PT9. So this is very confusing because Avid say one thing and do something else.

Still using version 8... just trying to understand what's going on so thanks for filling me in!

steve
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Mitchell View Post
I thought the idea was to only have "pro tools", and "pro tools hd". Are we back to where we started with another software version to support?
Exactly what I thought was happening..

I'm wondering now if the M-Powered version will have better/different drivers than the other PT9 version?

However if it's limited then it's probably not for me...

I think I will just stick with PT8
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I thought was happening..

I'm wondering now if the M-Powered version will have better/different drivers than the other PT9 version?

However if it's limited then it's probably not for me...

I think I will just stick with PT8
It's not any more limited than PT8MP. It just has a few extra "9ish" features like ADC and MP3 export, which have been two of the more saught after included features... so I can see it being worth it to some people.

It's half the price of PT9 full, and the crossgrade is about a 40% discount from the crossgrade. So, for what it is... it's alright.

I doubt driver support will be specific to this version. Generally M-Audio drivers are device specific, rather than DAW specific.

D

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Mitchell View Post
Well, I think the main idea is:

- Terminate the 003 series (and thereby PTLE). There's already "End Of Line Clearance" offers at various dealers.
- PTMP 9 is meant to be bundled with entry level M-AUDIO hardware. Three bundles are already offered.

On AVIDs WEB page they show some bundles with PT9 and Mbox (with a maximum of 8 I/Os on the Mbox PRO!!!). So, for M-AUDIO they pair interfaces with up to 34 inputs with software to support only 18 of those. For Mbox they pair interfaces with up to 8 inputs with software, which supports 32 inputs. Indeed some odd couples. Why not substitute PTMP with an entry level hardware independent PT to match the entry level interfaces? E.g. like it is with Cubase and Logic.

For not-so-entry-level-more-than-18-I/Os M-AUDIO dudes like myself, there's only PT9, but if it isn't able to run with my Music Production Toolkit?! Tell me that it is, please. At least the plug-ins.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
Well, I think the main idea is:

- Terminate the 003 series (and thereby PTLE). There's already "End Of Line Clearance" offers at various dealers.
- PTMP 9 is meant to be bundled with entry level M-AUDIO hardware. Three bundles are already offered.

On AVIDs WEB page they show some bundles with PT9 and Mbox (with a maximum of 8 I/Os on the Mbox PRO!!!). So, for M-AUDIO they pair interfaces with up to 34 inputs with software to support only 18 of those. For Mbox they pair interfaces with up to 8 inputs with software, which supports 32 inputs. Indeed some odd couples. Why not substitute PTMP with an entry level hardware independent PT to match the entry level interfaces? E.g. like it is with Cubase and Logic.

For not-so-entry-level-more-than-18-I/Os M-AUDIO dudes like myself, there's only PT9, but if it isn't able to run with my Music Production Toolkit?! Tell me that it is, please. At least the plug-ins.
There's no reason why the plugins wouldn't work... But for those using the MPTK this would be a downgrade if it isn't compatible. Who would want to pay $199 for less tracks and features?

D