Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-25-2021, 06:27 PM

Default MTRX Studio HDX and Dolby Atmos Production Suite

I've been using my MTRX Studio natively with the Dolby Atmos Production Suite but now with the Hybrid Engine I'd like to combine the Native and DSP of the HDX into my workflow. Obviously I will now be limited to 64 tracks and I cannot use the Dolby Atmos Bridge playback engine, so how can I use the HDX engine and still use the Dolby Atmos Production Suite? I understand the audio driver cannot be Core Audio in the Renderer preferences so the only other option is Send and Return plug ins? Is that really the only way to get it working with the Hybrid Engine?
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio HDX and Dolby Atmos Production Suite

I have used core audio drivers with no problem in DAPS. Usually DVS running in 64 channel mode, plus the Dante controller app. It is a virtual sound card, but you will need a physical ethernet port to assign it to followed by the appropriate ethernet cabling into your Dante network - https://www.audinate.com/products/so...tual-soundcard

From there - Select HDX as your playback engine in Pro Tools. You will need to create/assign your 64 channels of physical outputs for Atmos (beds + objects + 1 channel for LTC).

In DADman you need to route the 64 digilink inputs to 64 Dante outputs.

In Dante Controller, route 64 channels of MTRX Studio "Transmitter" to 64 channels of DVS "Receiver".

In DAPS, select DVS as your audio input and output. Configure the appropriate LTC channel number.

That gets 64 channels from Pro Tools & HDX into DAPS. From there you need to configure your monitoring chain.

In DAPS setup your room/speaker configuration.

In Dante Controller, route the required number of speaker channels from DVS "Transmitter" to MTRX Studio "Receiver". If you are using a standard 7.1.4 monitor setup, it is probably Dante channels 1 through 12.

In DADman, create a monitor profile called "Renderer" or "DAPS" or whatever, and choose the Dante inputs that reflect the returns from DAPS.

The same process can be applied when using a second dedicated computer with DVS for DAPS.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:40 PM

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm primarily using Dante for my work now so I have most of that setup already. It totally makes sense but do I need to do anything differently within my PT sessions? I can still use it the same way since I'm using the Core Audio Engine correct?
Old 06-25-2021, 07:53 PM

Nah, not really. It is just a case of replacing the virtual outputs of Dolby Audio Bridge with the appropriate physical digilink outputs of your MTRX Studio.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:39 PM

I think I've got all this setup so far but the last step, the monitor profile, what would be the Dante inputs be that are the return from the DAPS?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Nah, not really. It is just a case of replacing the virtual outputs of Dolby Audio Bridge with the appropriate physical digilink outputs of your MTRX Studio.
I tried this this week and can confirm it works. I'm yet to work out exactly what the right sample delay is to get it aligned, not that really matters too much (I believe it's setup out of the box to work with Dolby Audio Bridge).

I found using MTC over IAC to be more reliable than the LTC plugin over Dante.

The only issue I found was that running DVS at 64x64 was occasionally a bit flakey (I'm running it using the Ethernet port in an OWC Dock, because the 10GbE port in the MacPro7,1 still isn't supported by DVS). If you were doing this in production I would definitely look at a PCIeR card or using MADI (if you have the MTRX instead of the MTRX Studio).
Old 06-25-2021, 09:58 PM

I actually ran though all the steps and its working. It bricked my computer when I first tried but I restarted and everything seems to be talking to each other great. Wow. What a solution. Thank you LDS. Synch looks good to me so far.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
I think I've got all this setup so far but the last step, the monitor profile, what would be the Dante inputs be that are the return from the DAPS?

Sorry, I should further clarify. It is the "Source" section of the monitor profile where you want to add DAPS in DADman. So it goes DAPS -> DVS -> Dante Controller -> MTRX Studio -> "DAPS" monitor source.

The most simple setup would be to use the default "room setup" routing of DAPS. It is channels 1 through 12 with SMPTE routing. In Dante Controller you would then route channels 1 through 12 of "DVS Transmitter" to channels 1 through 12 of "MTRX Studio Receiver". The monitor profile source in DADman would then be Dante channels 1 through 12.

Doing it this way means you can also have a dedicated "HDX" source in DADman too, for work that doesn't require Dolby Atmos.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:48 AM

Yeah I figured that and did it. And no need to clarify, your directions were great. Like I said, everything is working. The only thing is my computer has slightly “bugged” out. It got bricked like I said before and during the night it randomly restarted. It might just take a minute for it to get used to this new routing. Thank You again
Old 06-26-2021, 01:37 PM

So again, it does work but it's not super stable. Not sure why. My computer is 2019 16 core Mac Pro so there really shouldn't be an issue with it handling that routing but it does go in and out compared to just using it Natively with the DAB which works with no issue.