Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Question ProTools 9 & 002 Rack

Two questions -

1). Has anyone out there using 002 rack cross-graded to ProTools 9? How's it working for you?

2). I purchased an MBox 3 Pro, but the footswitch functionality does not work. Avid says it's a bug and they are working on it. I am inclined to return it and go in a different direction. I am considering buying a used 002 Rack for mobile recording purposes. Other than condition of the hardware, what should I lookout of regarding cross-grading, e.g., warranty, product registration etc. I recently upgraded to 8.0.4. I am running a Sweetwater Creation Station with a 002 Rack and Presonus pre's at home--On the road it's MacBook Pro.

Many thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Re: ProTools 9 & 002 Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainairmuse View Post
Two questions -

1). Has anyone out there using 002 rack cross-graded to ProTools 9? How's it working for you?
I did with one of my systems, works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainairmuse View Post
I am considering buying a used 002 Rack for mobile recording purposes. Other than condition of the hardware, what should I lookout of regarding cross-grading, e.g., warranty, product registration etc. I recently upgraded to 8.0.4. I am running a Sweetwater Creation Station with a 002 Rack and Presonus pre's at home--On the road it's MacBook Pro.
Do you need all the I/O of an 002 on the road? If not, go for an Mbox - I use the Mbox2 mini with my macbook pro for some post-prod sessions and it works great.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Hi Slim -

Only need 4 i/o's for the road. Hence, the MBox 3 Pro. But also need a footswitch
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM

I have a 002 and upgraded to 9 and am loving it. Cept I haven't been able to get the Midi to work.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Smile Re: ProTools 9 & 002 Rack

I just spent 18 hours yesterday working on a computer-phobe friend's rig - iMac 27" i7 10.6.5, Digi 002r, and PT9. I had a lot of trouble getting the iMac to see the Digi 002r properly - in AMS, in the Audio section it would recognize the 002's existence, but with no outs or ins, and in the MIDI section, it would see the 002 but it would be grayed out with a red ? over the icon.

I went to the Avid site and got the hardware driver update for the 002-003 family, and also the 9.0.1 update. Now, here was my problem:

If I ran the hardware driver update, then I did get the iMac to recognize the 002 properly in AMS in both audio and MIDI. Yay! BUT - when I ran the 9.0.1 update, when I restarted the computer and ran AMS, it was back to the original problem. So I re-ran the hardware driver update, and the 002 audio and MIDI worked again, BUT - when I tried to open Pro Tools, I got an error message saying that Pro Tools couldn't open, and the report said that there was a library - Cfnd.framework/versions/A/CFnd - that was 9.0 and it needed to be 9.0.1.

What I gathered from this was that the hardware driver was replacing the new framework with an older one, and that was keeping the 9.0.1 update from opening. But running the 9.0.1 update was screwing something up in the hardware update that prevented the iMac from seeing the 002r's audio and MIDI correctly. It was a vicious circle.

So...what I did was make a copy of the newest library in question (Cfnd.framework/versions/A/CFnd).

I put it on the desktop for safety, and then re-ran the hardware driver update . Got the response that the old library was preventing Pro Tools from opening. I then replaced the older library with the newer one I had saved from the working 9.0.1 update.

I also made copies of the files and folders that were changed in the Library/Audio folder having to do with MIDI (by checking the date of files changed by the last install of the hardware driver update). If the AMS doesn't recognize the hardware, you can use those files to replace the older non-working MIDI files that the 9.0.1 update installs.

It may sound convoluted, but I got it all working together!

YMMV, but it may be worth a try.

Now, if I could only figure out what the heck he did with his Creative plug-ins to make them crash the program when you try to activate them in the channel strip - I guess that's another job for another day...