Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Pro Tools HD 8 to 9 (free upgrade) ?

Just bought a new HD setup which comes with HD 8, new, sealed in the box. Also has the latest new ilok version 2 which had PT8 and HEAT on it.

I've had a bunch of HD systems before and the registration seemed straightforward. This time the only registration card that it had was an HD 8 backup license, which I registered.

I was told this PT 8 licenses can be upgraded to PT 9 HD, but even after calling Avid, they told me to just wait 3-4 days until I get an email saying I can upgrade to PT 9 HD.

Anyone else in this situation? Seems like the registration process is different now.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 8 to 9 (free upgrade) ?

I bought new HD8 license a couple of weeks ago, and after registering it I got immediately e-mail from AVID about free update to HD9.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM

I am interested in this also. I bought HD 8 new boxed and registered it 11/27. Would I get a free upgrade to 9? I never got an email about it
Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Been a few days now and STILL waiting for that email that AVID support promised me.

What gives? Getting impatient :)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
I am interested in this also. I bought HD 8 new boxed and registered it 11/27. Would I get a free upgrade to 9? I never got an email about it

I'm with you. Our studio bought 3 copies in the mail sealed PT 8 (new Iloks with HEAT) and I have registered them all and I have yet to recieve any email. I haven't had time to upgrade the rooms from 8.1cs2 anyways at this time but I figured I would have to call Avid to get them to honer this. I would need to upgrade a 4 other rooms as well at the same time.

kd
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Same boat. December 14th HD3 PCIx to PCIe upgrade came with PT8, new ilok and Heat. (Had to do it, after Magma had been a complete waste of time and money, never, ever again)
Anyway, activated PT8 backup license. Still waiting for PT 9 free activation email. By the way, on this upgrade, registration card came with registration number blank. Maybe because its just an upgrade and registers automatically?

Alejandro Giacomán

No por Suerte Studio
Masterización de Audio - Música Fílmica - Multimedia
www.noporsuerte.com

Mexico City - Mexico D.F.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 AM

yup, my registration card was empty as well. Only had the key on the bottom instead of the key on the top like the old yellow registration cards.

I wish someone from Avid would help instead of saying to just wait.

Can't they manually enter this information ?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Keep in mind that ProTools upgrades are not eligible for a free copy of PT9. If what you really bought was an upgrade (V7 to V8, for instance) you're not eligible. If you exchanged PCI to PCIe and received a boxed version of PT8 you're not eligible.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

I bought a sealed new HD1.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninhopkins View Post
Just bought a new HD setup which comes with HD 8, new, sealed in the box. Also has the latest new ilok version 2 which had PT8 and HEAT on it.

I've had a bunch of HD systems before and the registration seemed straightforward. This time the only registration card that it had was an HD 8 backup license, which I registered.
This sounds like the exact contents of an upgrade. A start-from-scratch package should include a registration card for the primary license, including your SN# (I believe), not just info for obtaining a backup. What you've described is what we received when upgrading from PCI to PCI-x, a seemingly full package which ultimately was not eligible. I tried to register online for the free upgrade but we were missing the necessary primary registration card because it's considered an upgrade.

I hope that's not what's going on in your case.