Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 AM

Default mixing down to an external cd recorder

Guys, I have asked this question before, and I have tried searching the forum but the search engine won't return any hits...the question is simple for most of you, and I did manage to get it work properly some months ago but after upgrading, reinstalling, formatting etc I can't seem to make it work again..
so here it goes..
What should be the correct setting for mixing to an external CD recorder? I have connected my Phillips CDr 700 or something like that optically with the Digi 002 r, and whatever changes I make with the wordclock settings the recorder won't recognize the sync with the 002 and won't start recording...please help!
thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: mixing down to an external cd recorder

BUMP
Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 AM

If it DID work before, I'd check;
-Is the receiving protocol SPDIF ( most likely) optical ? Have you tried Coax ?
-Is PT hardware IO configured properly ?? Optical=SPDIF ! And audio is assigned to output ?

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM

thanks buddy I remember you helped me last time I asked the same question...I have tried everything you suggested before posting the question
the CD recorder is set ot receive optical data, and when I want to record i press the rec button and it says "start the source"...and when I do it doesn't respond...the procedure is the same as it was half a year ago...what could I be missing?
the master track is assigned to output 1/2...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM

There used to be a really cool feature in PT called spdif mirroring. It would simply "mirror" outputs 1 & 2 on the spdif outs. That feature no longer exists for some reason. What that means to you is all of your tracks that are now set to ouput on 1 & 2, they all need to be set to output to spdif instead . Then change your master fader output to spdif also, and you should be good to go. It's a real pain in the butt compared to just checking the spdif mirroring box.

You know, I could be wrong on this (please somebody correct me if I am!) but I think doing a BTD will be identical to mixing to an external CD recorder when going out from PT digital. It's all digital information. The only difference would be the amount of errrors that each had when writing the information. Don't quote me on that or anything.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Plenty of good advice above. Are you mixing a 24 bit session? If so, maybe the CD recorder can only accept a 16 bit digital input so you need to add a dither plugin on a master track. I tend to agree with the comment about BOUNCE sounding the same as going to an external recorder, UNLESS you are using some big-buck converters and some expensive analog summing devices.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-09-2005, 11:59 PM

thanks guys I completely agree with you...it's all digital and it doesn't really matter if I BTD and burn it on the CD in Roxio or mix down directly to the external recorder..the project is 16 bit/44,1 KHz and I usually do BTD...but I got this CD recorder for free last year, and I gave it a try and it worked.It's not that I can't live without it, but I just hate when something that should normally work doesn't..I am not pretty sure about the English word for it
last night I spent 3 hours trying to solve the problem and nothing helped...again, I can live without it, but I just can't sleep if I know there is something I didn't fix in my studio...come on guys, you know the feeling
anyway, thanks for the input