Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Thanks again for this great info. Got my OWC Accelsior 1M2 1TB PCIe drive today, so that's the next project...

Meanwhile, since this is the PT 2021 cheesegrater thread -- for at least 8 years I've been happily running my 2009 4,1 cheesegrater with Pro Tools 10 HD2 Accel, with the computer sitting at my feet right under my console. I've been able to track quiet acoustic guitars sitting right here because it's so quiet. I have another machine almost identical (2 cores instead of 1) that I flashed to 5,1 that I am using for my HDX install. Since I switched over to the new machine about a week ago - PT running off Mojave 1TB SATA SSD - and started working on it, I am noticing that it is a helluva lot noisier than it's HD Accel 4,1 twin. It ramps up and down, but it gets pretty darn noisy, with a high pitched whine sometimes. It's got the HDX card (fan), RX 560 GPU (one fan), UAD Octo, 2 SSD in SATA slots, and 1 4TB SATA drive. Anyone have any thoughts and tips about cheesegrater noise with this config?? Thanks alot!
I think the noise is from your HDX card. In my experience they are the loudest thing in the box compared to the cpu and gpu fans
Old 10-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Default macOS Big Sur 11.6 on 2010 MacPro 5,1!

I have been running Catalina on my 5,1 for some time with OpenCore. Today I updated to Big Sur 11.6. Things are running great. I've got a full PCIe card complement with an M.2 NVMe boot drive, HDX card and UAD Octo card.

Smooth as silk.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 6.52.36 PM.png (92.8 KB, 0 views)
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:09 AM

What is a good "Metal" compatible video card that most of you are using. With the crazy market for GPU's for gaming and crypto mining, I've been holding off doing this useful upgrade to my 4.1 cheese grater dual processor/8 core Nehalem MacPro (flashed to 5.1 but no RAM speed or processor upgrade). Is it necessary to do some power connector acrobatics for the new video card? Also, how do I get one that is flashed for Mac so that I get the boot screen? Is that something I can do easily or does it need to come already flashed from the factory. The machine is just sitting in the corner unused. All this talk about OpenCore seems like I can get some life out of this workhorse.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-09-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
What is a good "Metal" compatible video card that most of you are using. With the crazy market for GPU's for gaming and crypto mining, I've been holding off doing this useful upgrade to my 4.1 cheese grater dual processor/8 core Nehalem MacPro (flashed to 5.1 but no RAM speed or processor upgrade). Is it necessary to do some power connector acrobatics for the new video card? Also, how do I get one that is flashed for Mac so that I get the boot screen? Is that something I can do easily or does it need to come already flashed from the factory. The machine is just sitting in the corner unused. All this talk about OpenCore seems like I can get some life out of this workhorse.
I have an Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB in my 5,1 but I luckily bought it about a year ago for $299-New before the prices went nuts. You don't have to flash the card for a boot screen/drive picker, just install Opencore. Most upgraded GPU's will require both power connectors on the motherboard. If you don't have any pcie cards that require additional power, you're fine as is. I ran power for my HDX card from the optical bay with the proper adaptor cables.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have an Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB in my 5,1 but I luckily bought it about a year ago for $299-New before the prices went nuts. You don't have to flash the card for a boot screen/drive picker, just install Opencore. Most upgraded GPU's will require both power connectors on the motherboard. If you don't have any pcie cards that require additional power, you're fine as is. I ran power for my HDX card from the optical bay with the proper adaptor cables.
Thanks for the response. I'll be looking to do this in the near future.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 10-09-2021, 03:59 PM

Good suggestions above. I went through a whole rigamarole getting my system going. I first ordered an AMD Radeon 7970 that was flashed for Mac, but when it arrived I realized it needed two PCIe power ports, and I was using one for my HDX card. I never did quite figure out how to do the optical bay alternative power source mentioned above. I just re-sold that card. Then I bought an MSI Radeon 560, not flashed for Mac. I got everything up and running on that card. Made me nervous seeing a lot of blank screens while I was configuring drives and upgrading OS X at various points. But it has been working great. As a safety I bought an Nvidia GeForce GT 640 that is flashed for Mac, but I haven't needed to use it. I thought about Open Core, but the install process seems fairly daunting. I'm nervous about doing anything because at least for the moment my system is quite stable. I'm pretty darn impressed with how much horsepower I'm getting out of my 2009 Mac Pro 8-core, with the Hybrid Engine and UAD Octo. Love not having a voice limit anymore! I can run much bigger mixes than on HD2 Accel without even touching the HDX card...

Quote:
Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 AM

For others that have done OpenCore, is the install daunting? Are there many options to choose or is it pretty much accept all the defaults? What is the latest MacOS that it can run?

As for the video cards being flashed for Mac, is that something you do yourself or is that something done by the video card manufacturer? In other words, do I need to buy a flashed card or do I buy an off-the-shelf card and run some utility to flash it for Mac?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 10-10-2021, 07:52 AM

From the research I did about flashing your own GPU for Mac, I don't believe it's as simple as running a utility to do it. Seemed like a fairly involved process, and unless I'm mistaken, you need to do the flash upgrade from a Windows PC first. That might be why the pre-flashed cards are so expensive...
Old 10-10-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
For others that have done OpenCore, is the install daunting? Are there many options to choose or is it pretty much accept all the defaults? What is the latest MacOS that it can run?

As for the video cards being flashed for Mac, is that something you do yourself or is that something done by the video card manufacturer? In other words, do I need to buy a flashed card or do I buy an off-the-shelf card and run some utility to flash it for Mac?
OpenCore is fairly simple if you use one of the prepackaged setups. I’d recommend Martin Lo’s https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-28255048 or OCLP https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...agers.2315532/ You should also read up on the generic OpenCore on MacPro thread here for general background on OC: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...c-pro.2207814/

Flashing GPUs is not a simple process and it must be done from a PC. Also completely unnecessary if you are going the open core route.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the links to the resources concerning OpenCore. I'll study those before proceeding. I still need to get a video card first.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB