Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Johnson J-Edit with Digi 001 MIDI

I did a DUC hunt on this and it came up several times, but there was no definite solution to the problem.

I've got my Johnson J-Station J-Edit software working with the J-Station connected via the Digi 001 MIDI ports. It does what it's supposed to do, but I'm constantly hassled with this operating system error message:

"MMSYSTEM011 An invalid parameter was passed to a system function."

The thing works fine on my old computer with a cheap Yamaha sound card, so I think the problem might be the Digi MIDI ports. Is there a fix or a workaround?
Old 05-03-2002, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Johnson J-Edit with Digi 001 MIDI

Hi rusmooth--

Had the same problem, same error, everything. I email Digi Tech support and never got an answer back. I also called Johnson tech support and they were not aware of the issue and had no suggestions, but did indicate that such an error would prevent me from upgrading to the latest version of J-Edit. I took the easy way out and bought one of those midi/joystick cables and plugged it into a $10 sound card... works fine and no conflicts with the 001. I didn't think I should have to do that, given that I thought I already had a MIDI interface on the 001, but I got tired of fighting with it.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 05-03-2002, 04:26 PM

B.Ray,

Initially there were problems with the Johnson, since it didn't work at all until I updated the J-Station firmwear (v2.0) and got the latest version of J-Edit, which was done using my old computer. I checked out the Johnson support sites pretty thoroughly plus some others.
I found this explanation of the error:

"This is usually the result of a recording device that is not recognized or not completely compatible with your sound card. Examples include various manufacturers of USB camera and microphone combinations."

The suggestion was to disable the USB microphone input, not much help to me since I don't have anything like that. I did disable "Assign IRQ to USB" in the BIOS - no help.

My Digi machine runs Win98SE, and I transfered the latest version of J-Edit to it. It now works, but with every click of the mouse I get about 3 of those error messages and have to click OK for each one... a major pain in the neck and finger.

I'd like to get this working via the Digi MIDI, but you are right - if I can't, another sound card or USB MIDI port is the next best option. I just keep thinking that MIDI ain't all that tough for a computer, and it SHOULD work!
Old 05-03-2002, 04:32 PM

dthomca,

Yep, see above reply. I'm thinking the same at this point.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:33 PM

B.Ray,

Initially there were problems with the Johnson, since it didn't work at all until I updated the J-Station firmwear (v2.0) and got the latest version of J-Edit, which was done using my old computer. I checked out the Johnson support sites pretty thoroughly plus some others.
I found this explanation of the error:

"This is usually the result of a recording device that is not recognized or not completely compatible with your sound card. Examples include various manufacturers of USB camera and microphone combinations."

The suggestion was to disable the USB microphone input, not much help to me since I don't have anything like that. I did disable "Assign IRQ to USB" in the BIOS - no help.

My Digi machine runs Win98SE, and I transfered the latest version of J-Edit to it. It now works, but with every click of the mouse I get about 3 of those error messages and have to click OK for each one... a major pain in the neck and finger.

I'd like to get this working via the Digi MIDI, but you are right - if I can't, another sound card or USB MIDI port is the next best option. I just keep thinking that MIDI ain't all that tough for a computer, and it SHOULD work!
Old 05-04-2002, 12:58 AM

Hi rusmooth,

I'm a J-Station user but I have to admit that I wasn't aware of the problem you're having. I have a couple of other MIDI interfaces in my PC so I rarely connect anything to the Digi's MIDI I/O.

The only suggestions I have would be to check and see if you have the latest version of J-Edit, check their user's forum for any mention of this problem, or try using another MIDI I/O. This could also be a Windows related problem. What version are you using?

If this is truly a problem with your Digi hardware, you might want to email directly to customer service. The next version of PTLE is finishing beta testing (if not completed already) for the next release so its unlikely to be corrected before that release (assuming it is a problem with the Digi hardware).