Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Default Files are placed on the wrong drive

Hi,

Background:

C: is my hard drive, and F: is the default drive to store my Pro Tools files when starting a new session.

Situation:

Every time I open Pro Tools, the following folder/file is always placed on my USB thumb drive which is G:.

G:\Digidesign Databases\Unicode\volume.ddb

Any idea what is causing this to happen and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Files are placed on the wrong drive

The database files get created on any and every drive that is attached to the computer, but they have nothing to do with audio files or the function of Pro Tools. If your audio files are ending up in the wrong place, read on. Otherwise, don't sweat the little database folders(you can delete them all day long without issue, but they will likely reappear on the next bootup). When you create a new session, are you creating it ON your recording drive, or are you opening a template session and then saving it as your new project? I always create new sessions on the drive I want to use for recording, and my audio always goes into the correct folder in the correct session folder. The only time I get screwed up is if I either open a template session, or if I import session data from another session and forget to actually copy the audio files(so the session is looking at the folder where the originals are, instead of the folder for that particular session). You could also choose to set the wrong drive(s) to T or P only so that can't record audio.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The database files get created on any and every drive that is attached to the computer, but they have nothing to do with audio files or the function of Pro Tools. If your audio files are ending up in the wrong place, read on. Otherwise, don't sweat the little database folders(you can delete them all day long without issue, but they will likely reappear on the next bootup). When you create a new session, are you creating it ON your recording drive, or are you opening a template session and then saving it as your new project? I always create new sessions on the drive I want to use for recording, and my audio always goes into the correct folder in the correct session folder. The only time I get screwed up is if I either open a template session, or if I import session data from another session and forget to actually copy the audio files(so the session is looking at the folder where the originals are, instead of the folder for that particular session). You could also choose to set the wrong drive(s) to T or P only so that can't record audio.
Thank you very much! I am recording to the correct drive. I don't know enough to use templates or imports yet! When these files go on my flash drive, it just creates an issue when I try to eject my flash and take it to work because I have to close PT first! Thanks again for the prompt and informative reply. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 AM

I feel your pain. Attaching and removing drives with PT running is always a crap shoot, so I try to never do that. About half the time, either PT will not see a drive that was connected AFTER PT is open, and half the time, removing the drive causes PT to stall. We just need to be careful on that one

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave