Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-17-2002, 08:11 AM

Default MIDI HELP NEEDED

I have ProTools LE installed on a PC, and running fine. However, at the time I installed it I didn't have any of my MIDI gear hooked up. Today I configured my gear like so:

- Korg X5 (midi controller) OUT to Digi001IN.
-Digi001 out to JV1080 in.
-JV1080 thru to X5 in.

The quick start manual and Pro Tools reference are very vague on actually configuring MIDI gear a)after Pro Tools LE is already installed and b)how Pro Tools LE will actually "see" the individual MIDI sound modules I have. (So I can choose
particular banks, patches, etc on each one
by name)They offer a configuration window
for Macintosh but no mention of a similar
function in Windows.

Do I have to remove and reinstall Pro Tools LE in order for it to recognize the equipment I have attached to it? Or is there an easier way?

Second question - is there a way to "daisy chain" a drum machine in the MIDI loop I described above and use the X5 as a controller for both the JV1080 and the drum machine thru the Digi001 interface? Or do I need a seperate MIDI interface for that?

Any help would be appreciated. You guys rock!

--------------------

Thanks

Laupflow
Old 02-17-2002, 10:39 AM

Default Re: MIDI HELP NEEDED

If you have a second sound card in you computer I would connect the drum machine to the in and out there. This way you'd have access to all 16 channel on both.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:50 AM

Default Re: MIDI HELP NEEDED

laupflow,

First, you shouldn't have to reinstall PT for it to recognize your Midi stuff. I installed first, and then hooked up my Midi, and it works perfectly.

Secondly, I cannot give you the correct path for 2 or 3 devices with any accuracy. But, I suggest you get just one happening first, and then work out the path for the rest.

Rule of thumb is, midi out from Device to midi in on Digi, and vice versa (In terms of Midi cables). Then outputs from the Device to 2 RCA inputs on the Digi box (I use 3&4, which I'll refer to for this purpose too).

Also, a common thing that is overlooked by many (me included) when first hooking Midi to PT is this. Once you've created a Midi track(s), and assigned it a Midi channel(Digi Ch.1, Digi Ch.2, etc.), be SURE to also create a Stereo Aux. track, and assign it to the Midi Device inputs(3&4 in this case). If not, you won't hear anything.

Sorry, I can't help you on the 'daisy chain' info.

But, I hope the rest helps get you going...

Roy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]