Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 05:33 PM

Default Where to put Sample Library INTERNALLY ?

I've always kept all of my sample libraries on an SSD. But now that I've got an M2 Macbook Pro, I'd like to keep my main drum samples on the internal drive.

Where would be the smoothest and safest place to store these samples? Should I store them in a subfolder inside the folder that the Avid samples automatically go? That'd be Macintosh HD/Users/"my name"/Documents/Pro Tools/Sound Libraries

This wouldn't muddy anything up down the road would it? When I inevitably uninstall and/or reinstall Pro Tools, would these other samples disappear? If yes, then I'll just choose some folder not in the path of Pro Tools. Obviously I'll keep a backup on the SSD.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Where to put Sample Library INTERNALLY ?

Just put stuff in the default location the installer wants.

You are overthinking stuff.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not uninstall plugins, and sure does not remove samples associated with any plugins.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:57 PM

These are sample libraries that I already have on my SSD, so putting them in "default" location isn't applicable since I have no idea where that would have been if linked to a plugin. Almost all of these are raw .wav files though.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:14 PM

These are samples for what VI?

But in general just put them wherever convenient to you then and just point the plugins at them. It really makes no difference to anything besides your personal preferences. Do you want them under your personal account or shared in a top level directory on the drive for other users, etc.