Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Getting a warmer sound with single coil pickups(?)

As a tube snob, I've been using my 11R lately only with humbuckers. There is no tube warmth from the 11R and the humbuckers compensate a little bit to make it tolerable for me. I much prefer using single coils and it's not very satisfying when dialing in a totally clean sound. Turning down the treble just makes it sound like dead strings.

I'm usually using Seymour Duncan SSL-1s (vintage output) and the Alnico II single coils which are sweeter, but still no banana with the 11R.

Anybody have any tricks for a less sterile and more warm single coil tone?
(EQ, amp models, amp EQ, etc.)

Gracias!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Getting a warmer sound with single coil pickups(?)

Perfect use for TrueZ, IMO. Try moving further away from the 1 Meg setting.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Perfect use for TrueZ, IMO. Try moving further away from the 1 Meg setting.
Thanks, I've tried that....just gives less highs.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecountycarl View Post
Thanks, I've tried that....just gives less highs.
Fair enough I guess I'm not sure what constitutes 'warmer' in your case, nor do I have a reference point for what 'sterile' means to you either. I also have no idea how you're monitoring your 11r, so it really could be anything in the signal chain (physical or modeled) that you're not vibing with. It could be the amp model you're picking, or anything to the speakers you're listening on. I'd encourage you to just keep playing around with the different amps/cabs/mics until you get closer to what you're looking for. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It could be the amp model you're picking, or anything to the speakers you're listening on. I'd encourage you to just keep playing around with the different amps/cabs/mics until you get closer to what you're looking for. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, Darker. I may be chasing my tail and looking for something that doesn't exist in a modeler. If you've ever played through a clean vintage Marshall or Fender tube amp, there is very warm tone that really tames single coils.

I'm running out of the XLR output to the XLR input of a QSC K10...everything flat on the monitor. I've tried the Fender Deluxe models....which get closer.

I've tried running the 11R though my Tech 21 Power Engine (with cabs on and off). That was disappointing. It completely changed the sound of all the amp models. The FRFR is the only way to get the true sound of the amp modeled.

I may just have to forgo single coils with the 11R and only use the 11R if I'm going to play a Les Paul.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM

I agree that FRFR is the way to go. I'm not really a fan of the QSC, although I couldn't tell you whether or not that's gonna make or break it for you. I definitely dig my 11r with my Fender Strat with SCN pickups, although I think it sounds equally good with my PRS and my dad's '72 LPC. Keep playing with it, you'll either like it or you won't :P
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I agree that FRFR is the way to go. I'm not really a fan of the QSC, although I couldn't tell you whether or not that's gonna make or break it for you. I definitely dig my 11r with my Fender Strat with SCN pickups, although I think it sounds equally good with my PRS and my dad's '72 LPC. Keep playing with it, you'll either like it or you won't :P
Derker.. what FRFR do you use ?
I,m looking around at the moment.

cheers
Jay
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Actually, I don't have my own FRFR monitor. I plug into whatever's around. At home I plug into my cheap stereo/home theater for recording purposes...at band practice I go right into the mixer which feeds a relatively low end JBL PA, with passive speakers, Rane crossover, etc. At gigs I just plug into the FOH.

I am however looking into getting the Alto TS12 speakers. I've tried them a couple times and A/B'd them with the QSCs, Yamahas, JBL actives, etc...and the Altos were surprisingly my favorite regardless of the price.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Carl, have you experimented with mic selection and speaker breakup?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Carl, have you experimented with mic selection and speaker breakup?
Hmm....no, David, I haven't thought of that! Good point!
I will work on that next.

I know there has to be a way to make it all work.
My Strat with DiMarzio Area 67 pickups (which have a rather neutral and flat sound to my ears) might be the perfect candidate to start and then try and work in the brighter sounding Strats.

Thanks!