Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Anyone hear from filosofem?

Filo lives in Christchurch and was/is likely affected by the recent earthquake.

A lot of us on here are praying for him and his family, as well as the rest of the folks down there.

If anyone hears anything, please pass it on..

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Anyone hear from filosofem?

Hopefully we will here something soon. Also there are a few other new Zealanders here. it would be nice to get together a short list of who's in NZ.

My thoughts go out to all New Zealanders. But Filo and his family especially. Heres to hearing good news sooner than later.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Indeed! I keep watching the news and it looks devastating! We're hoping for the best!!!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Wow, it seems like NZ is getting hit left and right with stuff like this lately. Hopefully Filosofem and his family are safe.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM

I can imagine that he's out helping with whatever he can. Hopefully he and his family came through without significant injury. Google's Person Finder only has a little more than 10,000 records at this time and he isn't in it.

Breathing a prayer and keeping fingers crossed...

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 AM

As you can see, I am a New Zealander.

I must say, it is a little disturbing to see that Filo isn't around at moment and I too hope he is ok. This earthquake certainly has been a huge event which in some way has affected all Kiwis.

But I know those of you who live in other countries in Europe, USA, Asia, Indonesia (and not least of all Australia presently) have all had natural disasters of one kind or another to deal with so you know what we are currently going through.

I have travelled extensively through the above mentioned countries/continents over the past 20 years and I have met some great people from all of them which has formulated my thinking into the belief that we are one big village. This forum reinforces that belief and all of your comments bolster my optimism that we may all yet see global peace in our time.

On behalf of my fellow countrymen and women, I say a heartfelt thank you for your kind words and sincere friendship.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Wow, it seems like NZ is getting hit left and right with stuff like this lately. Hopefully Filosofem and his family are safe.
Apparantly large areas of Christchurch and surrounding areas are without power ATM. I'm sure he has much more on his plate than getting on here. I saw some amatuer vision today of the exact moment the earthquake hit from inside a house. The place was trashed.

Hopefully his compy is trashed at worst and he can't use it. I know us Aussies and kiwis rag each other a lot, but sincere condolences to all the victims family and friends. Like I have, please find a way to donate what you can afford. Be aware though that apparently there is a few scam donation sites, so do your research and maybe just donate through the red cross.

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM

We have emailed him as well...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM

We had a pre-curser here a 5.2 before the 7.2 hit. ChristChurch had 1,000... unbelievable.

What blew my mind (edit) some brainiac decided to undo the emergency ham radio system... all the public schools had an emergency ham radio with a very tall antenna... even a portable for an automobile, then some years after Loma Prieta, they dismantled it at the County. Still installed on the schools, really well installed too. US emergency channel is 9.

You'll be thrown 12-20 feet, if on the nodal wave....with the entire building moving slightly slower. Even aftershocks, on the street you coudn't walk without falling. I was 6 miles from the epicenter. If at an anti-node you might be ok...except for fire... very very sad about those Japenese students.

There is an invention, a gas plug, basically a rolling ball that falls into place to cut natural gas off in case of a major earthquake. Naturally, the brainiacs I mentioned, nor the State considered it. This just blows my mind, this kind of neglect.

I just wanted to add: we had no 'forced' curfew....even in Oakland, SF. Do you realize how loud it is inside a house when the aftershocks hit, after a big one? No way you can sleep, first night we slept in the station wagon. Then you move to a tent away from powerlines that may come down.

Oxfam is my preferred organization. They supplied food & tents in the Himalayas... after that massive earthquake as Winter weather was moving in.

Like during Katrina... the ham operators pulled together, your best bet is to locate a Ham radio operator on the main island. They were the ones who helped locate missing family members.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:33 PM

a few of us who talk to him a lot off the forums have emails and such into him and have not forgotten. hopefully all is well and will post when we have word if he does not.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10