Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Using 3rd Party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Mode 1 or mode "" doesn't hage the problem. It doesen't work.
But on my opinion it is related to a midev problem because PT says it can't find a patch server for my device.
Have midi audio core configuration any implication with this?

Please, any help would be appreciate.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Using 3rd Party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

"MIDI server patch file, bank, mode information not available for this MIDI instrument."

Ever seen this before when trying to assign MIDI Patch names? Ever wasted an hour and a half trying to fix it? Don't bother, do this.

Make a note of all your Devices, their connection, settings etc... in Audio MIDI Setup because you are about to lose them by trashing the pref files

Delete these two Audio MIDI Setup preference files

"User"/Library/Preference/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.000a95732738.plist
"User"/Library/Preference/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

Rebuild your Audio MIDI Setup config.

OK we're in the home stretch.

1 - Be certain that the device name and model match it's respective xml file and it's listing in the Digidesign Device List.middev

2 - Because a New PT install/update will write over your User/Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign/ folder (thus losing your custom .midnam's) put the .midnam files you use in your Digi Application folder, and open THEM from PT, instead of the .midnam's in the User/Library/Audio/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign/.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:29 AM

WOWW.... at the end i win!!!

The problem is that:

YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE DEVICE, THE MODEL AND MANUFACTURER IN APPLE MIDI AUDIO CONFIGURATION, WITHOUT CANCELLING THE PATCH CORD TO MIDI INTERFACE AND YOUR MIDI DEVICE...

I think you can change the device the model and so on continusly without having to cancel the patch cord and remake the connection...

So much time wasted, my midnam and mididevice probably were ok many triel before i got them really work...

Happy to end this work, now i can use Cherry Picker to configure avery part i need of my midnam...
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 AM

I just posted an update to CherryPicker (2.5) at: <http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker> which might help with some of the problems I've seen in this thread. (it's a freeware MIDI Patchfile Editor).

It now includes a middev editor, and automatically adds entries if they are missing - and it has a "ProTools Compatible" switch that you can set in the preferences. This reformats and filters the midnam XML to ProTools implementation - so you can open up any MOTU midnam (or Cubase or OMS) patchfile, and just hit 'Save'.

As with anything new, there may be a couple of glitches - so please back everything up first if you want to give it a whirl! And let me know of any problems or suggestions... (there's a feedback link on the site)

Cheers, Rob
Old 08-09-2005, 01:23 PM

I just wrote a little stand-alone app that basically converts the entire MOTU folder to a ProTools compatible one in one shot, and also constructs a Digidesign middev file for all the models it finds along the way.

Trouble is, I don't have ProTools to make sure everything's working properly! The files look alright, but I'd like to make sure they run properly before I put the app out there. (I plan to put it inside the CherryPicker download).

So, does anyone here have a little time available and interest in trying it out? Send me a mail if you are!

Cheers, Rob
Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM

I have to say to Digi, considering the cost of our HD systems , it would seem you should provide a much more thorough MIDI patching, and hardware list in a future CS upgrade. I'm not complaining, i'm just bitc*ing.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:27 PM

For those of you that use protools to make music and don't want to spend the time to create xml .midnam
files, you can probably find all the .midnam file you need at
So Now you can go back and create music again. .midnam
Old 12-03-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
So Now you can go back and create music again. .midnam
has anyone gotten this link to work? i just tried on a mac running 10.3.9 in SAFARI, IE, and FIREFOX. says it could not be found. ah...well... must be gone. just my luck.

DIGI, this is an absolutely MADDENING AND APPALLING SITUATION!! WHY ARE MIDI NAMES SO GOLL DARN DIFFICULT IN YOUR APPLICATION???

you have to be a seasoned programmer to figure this stuff out!!! i recently lost my midnams that worked before and now, even i am not ALL TOGETHER stupid, i am having trouble. SONOSPHERE doesn't work, Cherry Picker doesn't work. and you provide us with midnam's from circa 1822!

back in the day, i could use galaxy librarian, hook up my midi modules, select "GET PROGRAMS" what a few minutes and there they were. but that was OS7! can you please explain to us why you cannot provide us with a simple librarian that doesn't require an advanced degree in C++? can you please put a downloadable database at your site with manufacturers midnams that are UP TO DATE? surely someone at DIGI can do this for us. the instructions are at your site, just follow them.

thank you for listening. sorry for the tone. now, back to work.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM

Could anyone here direct me to a workable midnam for a Roland srx-06 expansion board. I found one for DP but Pro Tools just doesn't want to work with it.

Any advice appreciated.

JH
Old 02-17-2006, 04:28 AM

I got these digidesign device list which had already edited, that you need to make your expansion board accessible through PT , but my expansion boards are only srx 01/02/04/10 and some old srjv module(orchestral2, hiphop, bass n drums), i got my 06 but not using it right now so i don't make the list for it. But all of theme are use on my XV-5080. If you have the same module, just take the list from DP instrument list and follow the pattern that i made in my XV.midnam. If you want the files, or any body want it, i got instrument def for Triton Extreme (Tom Morgan-thx) also, just let me know. Thx

Music is all that you need
[email protected]