Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-15-2005, 03:20 AM

Default recording DAT with timecode to LE/MBox

Hello

Can anyone help me get to grips with recording DAT tapes via MBox into a LE session? How do I preserve the timecode from the DATs once they are regions within the mix?

I'm ready to use Titan and the EDL to conform the audio to the timecode info embedded within the edit I have recieved as an OMF from FCP. The audio was not digitised before picture edit, hence bringing in the sound after picture lock - sounds like a nightmare sitation to me although Titan is supposed to do the hard job of syncing everything up..I'll get my head round that but how is the timecode information preserved and brought into the regions if they are recorded digitally via S/PDIF on the MBox?

I hope this makes sense to you... I'm getting tied up in mental knots here.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: recording DAT with timecode to LE/MBox

HI,

I guess you need this:
http://www.digidesign.com/products/dvtoolkit/index.cfm

for OMF/EDL and post production.

when the sound is on the DAT it is already digitized. There should be a SPDIF out that let´s you transfer the audio to the MBOX with a 48KHz, 16bit session.

also searching your PT reference guide for "Playlist" might give some useful results.

regs
Old 03-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Is this a sound to picture job?

Technically, It won't be locked.
the mbox can only read 2 tracks at a time. usually left and right of a stereo mix. it has no provision for a seperate timecode locking facility.

you could get around it by recording the timecode from the dat into the mbox as well as the audio, AT THE SAME TIME, tricky, as it only has 2 ins. using MTC could help. (See Below...hindsight is a wonderful thing)

this all depends on how long the sections are too. if they are under 20 minutes each, you will might be able get away with it , as dats tend to drift out after 20 mins.

hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:33 PM

digi won't tell you this, but le does use tc. It's just midi tc. Now mtc is frame accurate to smpte so that won't kill you. The thing is that you have no hardware for tc in, But that doesn't mean you can't use other manufacturers hardware. I use MOTU's microexpress because it's under 200 bucks. this way you can feed stereo audio(or split trax) and also feed your smpte in and maintain your "spot." You have to first set up clockworks which is motu's app. to the right frame rate etc... then your'e ready to go. There is also a freeware app. TcounterX that will convert the mtc and read it HH:MM:SS:FF to help you spot.