Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Default I just can't seem to get audio, click, and midi notes to all align on the grid.

I'll try to explain this as best I can. I'm sure there's some combination of settings that would fix this but I just can't figure it out. I have major problems aligning everything to the grid, especially when audio is involved.

If I align the transients in my audio tracks with the grid, then the click doesn't hit right on the grid/transients and sounds off from the audio. Similarly, if I record midi notes, in order to align them with the perfectly-aligned-to-the-grid audio, they all have to be pulled about a 32nd-note early (all midi, including percussion). This makes quantizing midi a pain because quantizing it to the grid is actually making it out of time with the audio (since it will be late). I know you can quantize with an offset but it also makes it difficult to export to notation when everything is off the grid for playback purposes.

I would just LOVE to be able to have audio transients perfectly on the grid, and be able to have midi and click perfectly on grid with it, without any playback issues. I'm sure through delay compensation and midi offset there's a way to make this happen but I just have no idea what I'm doing.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated, since this has hampered my workflow for so long and I'm just fed up with it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Default Re: I just can't seem to get audio, click, and midi notes to all align on the grid.

Which MIDI instrument? I've heard of some that are exactly 1/32 note off...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Default Re: I just can't seem to get audio, click, and midi notes to all align on the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Which MIDI instrument? I've heard of some that are exactly 1/32 note off...
Every midi instrument, including percussion with transients. It's not about the samples, it's something with my Pro Tools set up where the audio and midi is off. For instance, if I align audio so that it is PERFECTLY on the grid, the click is not tight with the audio. Same goes for any midi.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Is there a global Midi offset in place? I think it's in the Event Menu.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
Is there a global Midi offset in place? I think it's in the Event Menu.
No. It's a 0. The only way I can get the click to align with audio that is tight to the grid is by putting that offset to about 4000. But then it makes midi editing extremely annoying because all the midi is about 1/32nd off the grid in order to match with the audio that is on the grid.

Is there any way I can use a 0 midi offset and still have the click track and audio perfectly tight together with the grid?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM

What plug-ins are you using. Do you have ADC turned on or off?
I'm wondering if your audio, click track and VI's are experiencing different latency times, just an idea.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)