Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-19-2021, 04:31 PM

Default Can I use pro tools ultimate with normal PT

I have a current (12-2020) pro tools ultimate edition at my studio. I have the $599 version of PT at my house which is expired (the update plan is expired though I have the perpetual license for both normal PT and ultimate). If I download the current ultimate and install it on the normal PT ($599 version) ilok will it run that version? Or PT ultimate and not run?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Can I use pro tools ultimate with normal PT

What version of Pro Tools exactly is installed on the home system now? What version do you want to run? On what OS?

There is no difference between a standard and an ultimate software install. It's all the same. What features you get is depended on the license.

If you have a license for Ultimate on an iLok in the studio you can't install the same license on another iLok. You take the studio iLok home if you want to run Pro Tools there using that license. Or you use iLok cloud licensing, widely discussed on DUC in the past (I personally would not).

If you are looking at matching exact versions installed between the studio and home you also have to pay careful attention to operating systems compatibility. That's often more an issue than licensing, well with Macs at least.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 PM

Standard and Ultimate are the same install, absolutely nothing different except that the Ultimate license opens Ultimate features.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:23 PM

Thanks, that is what I thought but did not want to do a uninstall and re-install if I was wrong. Cubase artist/pro are the same and I know a lot of other software is just like that. If you remember Sony Vegas audio and video years ago was like that.

The thing that threw me off is normally you load the program then after the splash screen when it reads the dongle or ilok etc it shows what version is running. This is with Cubase and other software. With PT my studio shows Ultimate right away which made me think it might be different.

PS I have 11-2020 normal PT at home
and 12-2020 Ultimate at the studio

Both home and studio use win10 x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If you have a license for Ultimate on an iLok in the studio you can't install the same license on another iLok. You take the studio iLok home if you want to run Pro Tools there using that license. Or you use iLok cloud licensing, widely discussed on DUC in the past (I personally would not).

I have two licenses, one license for ultimate at the studio and one license for normal PT at home both perpetual on different iloks.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Standard and Ultimate are the same install, absolutely nothing different except that the Ultimate license opens Ultimate features.
It is more of a glass-half-full / glass-half-empty situation.

Instead of "Ultimate license opens Ultimate features", I would say "PT Standard license blocks (hides) Ultimate only features"
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 AM

whatever you say boss