Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 AM

Default What happens to legacy licenses after NEW update plan

Hello from sunny Germany!

I already found a few threads covering this topic but those mostly were rather old and Avid tends to change their policies so apologies if I ask again.

I currently own a few PT perpetual licenses 10/11 with expired update and support plans.
Recently, I found out that there are still ‚NEW software update and support plan‘ licenses (used to be ‚reinstatement‘) available for purchase at authorized dealers.

Is it still true that when using such an update/reinstatement on one of my perpetual licenses, I have to surrender my old bundle and instead get a new bundle which will license PT 10 thru present version (currently 2021.3)?
The update & support plan is then again running for one year and can still be renewed when finished?

Also, I discovered in my Avid account that there is still an unused ‚PT update and support plan 2015 update‘ waiting under ‚not yet downloaded‘.
If I use/activate this now, will I still get an upgrade to 10/11/12?
Or do those legacy updates only work for a certain time?

If my reinstatement update gives me access to PT 10 thru present I don‘t bother but if I only keep the legacy bundle as is I would try to do the legacy update first.
I just want to avoid the the legacy update somehow destroys my existing 10/11 bundle so it cannot be reinstated anymore.

As always with license questions, a rather lengthy and complicated text.
Hopefully, somebody can shine a light on this for me.

Many thanks

Michi (soullab)

Last edited by soullab; 05-02-2021 at 05:21 AM.