Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Eleven rack outputs not working

So my beloved eleven rack apparently has issues, or i do. Anyway, pro tools opens up and works fine and I can use an instrument track like addictive drums, to play an instrument an see it in all the track and master track levels. So Protools is "seeing the source." Now when I plug into the input, xlr or true z, they only register full input juice, as in the levels are yellow and red. Even once those inputs are unplugged they still read full juice on the meters.
Now another issue is that my monitors keeping "popping" every once in a while but still register our output no audio the eleven rack is "seeing."

Also when Protools is not opened, I am able to use my eleven rack with iTunes and it plays audio through my same Protools monitors.

So I'm not sure if I am missing something here or just have something's set up wrong.
I just had some new antivirus and pc tune up programs installed and I freed up an incredible amount of storage space on the hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Brian
Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack outputs not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by voma79 View Post
So my beloved eleven rack apparently has issues, or i do. Anyway, pro tools opens up and works fine and I can use an instrument track like addictive drums, to play an instrument an see it in all the track and master track levels. So Protools is "seeing the source." Now when I plug into the input, xlr or true z, they only register full input juice, as in the levels are yellow and red. Even once those inputs are unplugged they still read full juice on the meters.
Now another issue is that my monitors keeping "popping" every once in a while but still register our output no audio the eleven rack is "seeing."

Also when Protools is not opened, I am able to use my eleven rack with iTunes and it plays audio through my same Protools monitors.

So I'm not sure if I am missing something here or just have something's set up wrong.
I just had some new antivirus and pc tune up programs installed and I freed up an incredible amount of storage space on the hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Brian
Not sure I follow what exactly is the problem? Meters being stuck on full scale is surely not your main problem. But from the rest of the description the main problem is you can't hear (and/or record?) any signal through the rig from a guitar ?

Simplify everything and get things workign stand alone first. if that works OK let us know.

Unplug the Eleven Rack from the computer. Power Cycle the ER. Use the front panel menu to make sure the rig input is set to "guitar in". Can you now hear the guitar playing through the rig? if not try a reset on the Eleven Rack (will erase any presets) using the front panel menu. Does that now work?

What guitar are you using? What pickups? It should be going only into the Front panel 1/4" input. What exact monitors/amp/speakers are connected to what exact outputs on the Eleven Rack?

What version of Pro Tools? What playback engine is selected?

Was everything working perfectly OK until you ran some system utilities/antivirus software? If so roll back to the backup/image you surely made before doing that brain surgery. What exact utiltiies did you run? What Windows version?

If you hear stuff stand-alone connect to the USB cable and start up Pro Tools. What happens now? (record enable the track but don't run record on the transport, can you hear stuff? When you engage record/play on the transport do you still hear stuff).
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Yes sorry for the confusing post.
I am unable to record or even hear a processed signal from the true z input or the XLN input. All that I see when a track is opened and set to record is a very hot signal, and I am unable "hear" or see any wave form if I was to record this "sound"

Now I did as exactly you said and unplugged the USB from the back of the eleven rack, reset the memory, and power cycled the eleven rack. After doing this I was able to hear and get signal from my true z input and hear from headphones and monitors. Which was great and the best sign of things working I've had.
However I opened Protools and the same situation occurred. My guitar in tracks, when opened and set to record only saw an in audible hot signal and no waveforms!

So I've made progress in standalone mode but the eleven rack input or outputs still don't seem to be working properly.
I am using a les Paul with passive pickups that worked in standalone mode, I'm using JBL speakers that worked in standalone mode. And I have the monitors hook left right through the main outputs on back panel.

So I have done all this and reset the rack and shutdown and restarted the computer with eleven rack turned on. And still the outputs so not work, though they did in standalone mode, the true z input doesn't recognize the input of the guitar(won't even allow me to tune the guitar) and I am still able to see intrent tracks register signal but still hear no output.

I installed a pc tune up program and an antivirus program after having my PC "cleaned up" by tiger direct service center. Should I uninstall the new virus and tune up programs I've recently installed. Because honestly everything worked perfectly before I installed those and "cleaned" up my computer.

So any more ideas on my everything seems to work in standalone mode but nothing works inside of protools(once Protools is initiated)

Thank you for your incredibly quick response, I really wasn't expecting such a fast response!
Thank you
Old 06-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Yes sorry for the confusing post.
I am unable to record or even hear a processed signal from the true z input or the XLN input. All that I see when a track is opened and set to record is a very hot signal, and I am unable "hear" or see any wave form if I was to record this "sound"

Now I did as exactly you said and unplugged the USB from the back of the eleven rack, reset the memory, and power cycled the eleven rack. After doing this I was able to hear and get signal from my true z input and hear from headphones and monitors. Which was great and the best sign of things working I've had.
However I opened Protools and the same situation occurred. My guitar in tracks, when opened and set to record only saw an in audible hot signal and no waveforms!

So I've made progress in standalone mode but the eleven rack input or outputs still don't seem to be working properly.
I am using a les Paul with passive pickups that worked in standalone mode, I'm using JBL speakers that worked in standalone mode. And I have the monitors hook left right through the main outputs on back panel.

So I have done all this and reset the rack and shutdown and restarted the computer with eleven rack turned on. And still the outputs so not work, though they did in standalone mode, the true z input doesn't recognize the input of the guitar(won't even allow me to tune the guitar) and I am still able to see intrent tracks register signal but still hear no output.

I installed a pc tune up program and an antivirus program after having my PC "cleaned up" by tiger direct service center. Should I uninstall the new virus and tune up programs I've recently installed. Because honestly everything worked perfectly before I installed those and "cleaned" up my computer.

So any more ideas on my everything seems to work in standalone mode but nothing works inside of protools(once Protools is initiated)

Thank you for your incredibly quick response, I really wasn't expecting such a fast response!
Thank you
Make sure the eleven rack is selected as the playback engine. Hold down "N" while pro tools is starting up. Does that work?

Try with a new blank session? Doe that work?... even better try using one of the Eleven Rack session templates.

In each of the Setup>IO pages (input, ouptu etc.) hit the default button. Does that work?

What exact input have you selected for that track?

Follow the direction under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" page troubleshooting links and delete your prefs and databases.

Uninstall and reinstall the Eleven Rack drivers. Does that work?

Does the Eleven Rack input work when the track is record armed but not the transport is stopped but not in record mode? (if so try just toggling ALT-K on the keyboard and look up what input only/auto input monitoring means in the manual)

Don't install or let anybody else install any utilities or antivirus crapware unless you are know what exactly it is and why its really needed. And don't do that without having a full image backup. These ass clowns have done God know what to screw with your system, its all a scam.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM

The eleven rack is selected as the playback engine but I haven't tried holding the "N" key upon startup. I will try in just a bit
And I have tried with existing sessions and started a new with new blanks sessions.
I have also gone to the I/O screen and made sure eleven rack I/O was set to default.
I have tried to use the eleven L and eleven R inputs as the track input and even tried the guitar in and tried with a phantom powered microphone through the XLR preamp, while switching to the appropriate track input.
I guess my next step is to delete my prefs and databases, then I will uninstall the eleven rack drivers and then reinstall them.
I'm not familiar with the control-k input output monitoring only portion so I will try that as well.
Then if all this doesn't work I will uninstall the 2 programs I just bought from Tiger Direct as maybe they are interfering with something. I think this maybe the case because when not USB into the computer I have a perfectly working eleven rack. Then when the USB is plugged in I can use it as my audio device for playing programs like iTunes through my studio monitors.

The problem only occurred when I'm USB plugged in and trying to play/record or monitor any sound inside Protools itself.
And it all seems to have started when I "tuned up" my pc with those 2 programs, so obviously it must be one of those programs blocking or changing something.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for all the advice

Brian
Old 06-16-2013, 08:02 PM

ALT+K is the command for switching input modes.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The eleven rack is selected as the playback engine but I haven't tried holding the "N" key upon startup. I will try in just a bit
That just is a shortcut to change the playback engine, if you are sure its set to the Eleven Rack, then there is no need to do this.

Quote:
/snip/
I have tried to use the eleven L and eleven R inputs as the track input and even tried the guitar in and tried with a phantom powered microphone through the XLR preamp, while switching to the appropriate track input.
This worries me a bit, not sure why you ar tryign this specific mono rig input. The default rig input would be "Eleven Rig L/R Stereo" to a wet stereo audio track. And "guitar in" to a dry mono audio track. Creating a new session using the Eleven Rack session templates should do all this for you.

The dry guitar in will be at very low level, you will barely see/hear that without a guitar amp plugin on the track.

What I am not seeing you say is that you checked the guitar rig input is coming from the guitar. That is a critical important step that folks get wrong. It should be defaulting to "guitar in" but double check this in the Eleven Rack GUI window in Pro Tools.... the pulldown in the top left part of the Eleven Rack GUI window should say "Rig Input> Guitar".

Just start with a new session from one of the Eleven rack template session and make sure the "E. Guitar" track is record armed, input is from "Eleven Rig L/R (Stereo)" and that the right input is set to "Guitar" and the guitar is connected to the Eleven Rack guitar input. And just play something on the guitar... do you hear anything? Do you see any meter movement in Pro Tools even if you can't hear anything? And especially confirm that the track is record armed.

Quote:
I guess my next step is to delete my prefs and databases, then I will uninstall the eleven rack drivers and then reinstall them.
I'm not familiar with the control-k input output monitoring only portion so I will try that as well.
Then if all this doesn't work I will uninstall the 2 programs I just bought from Tiger Direct as maybe they are interfering with something. I think this maybe the case because when not USB into the computer I have a perfectly working eleven rack. Then when the USB is plugged in I can use it as my audio device for playing programs like iTunes through my studio monitors.

The problem only occurred when I'm USB plugged in and trying to play/record or monitor any sound inside Protools itself.
And it all seems to have started when I "tuned up" my pc with those 2 programs, so obviously it must be one of those programs blocking or changing something.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for all the advice

Brian
I actually doubt it was the "clean up" software etc. unless it screwed with the driver. (why I suggested uninstalling and reinstalling that). Make sure you do this properly with the Eleven Rack disconnected, an old fashioned manual driver install, never let plug and play try to screw with this.

You already have lots of things to try, and hopefully I clarified more above. Do all and everything I suggested and post clear replies on each one describing what happened. Also try running through them all a second time, especially try trashing prefs and databases between doing some of the other steps.

Darryl
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What I am not seeing you say is that you checked the guitar rig input is coming from the guitar. That is a critical important step that folks get wrong. It should be defaulting to "guitar in" but double check this in the Eleven Rack GUI window in Pro Tools.... the pulldown in the top left part of the Eleven Rack GUI window should say "Rig Input> Guitar".
Yeah this is what I suspect is wrong.

If you could post some snapshots of the 11R GUI window and the mix window in Pro Tools it may help.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O