Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-16-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: New G4\'s noise. Time for Apple to realize what we need!

Oh Boy,

Another PC evangelist.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:56 PM

Hey...here's some fan for the flames on PC feathers

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,106898,00.asp

AMD 2.3 beats PIV 3ghz with "hype"rthreading.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:39 PM

Ok, Ill party..heres some more

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=010785
Old 11-16-2002, 10:41 PM

Heres' some more
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=011383
Old 11-16-2002, 10:50 PM

Heres' another good thread that ended early.
Shall I post more?

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=009984
Old 11-16-2002, 11:42 PM

My guess is we might get a variant of the power 4
(havn't been keeping up with it), that can scale to quad-proccesors, etc. kinda like farm cards, but not. Lots of cooling? Imagine the heat of 4 G5's (OR EVEN 8).
I wonder if the practically disabled DDR pipeline is mother board or proccesor card located, if you get my drift? I have a feeling you'll be able to buy whatever level of performance you need all based on one pro platform. Good news for audio, video and 3D rendering.
I'd half expect a 5,1 add on sound card from apple with dolby dsp- to tie into new 'digital lifestyle' devices yet to come. A mp4 based sequencing app for the masses, tied into itunes or imovie - with Logic tied into FCP as a full stem-based editing suite.

Oh the noise thing - probably one tiny solder trace left off the master - **** happens. I think this was a transitional iteration. Reminds me of the first G3's, the first G4's and...

Any updates on PT6? I hope 10.3 & PT6 will work well together.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:33 AM

Maybe the fans are for the flames...(karma)

"church-mouse quiet", twice the speed, $600 left in your pocket. The Macs is a dinosaur in computer terms, actually it's now been 'slaughtered', as this url finds. How is it that Dell can produce this type of power with little fan noise, and Apple can't?

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2...macvspciii.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 11:52 AM

My new G4 is louder than any other Mac I've owned. Considering its prime use was for my little studio, I find the noise is unacceptable. I'm fortunate that the CPU lives on the other side of an insulated wall, and not in the main room.

After hearing how loud my CPU is, I can only laugh at advertising photos, like those from Sweetwater, that show a G4 sitting on a desk just inches from one's ears - and for those of us with one-room home studios - inches away from.......microphones!! What a joke.

I got a Glyph firewire drive at the same time as the G4, and even though it is specifically designed for audio applications and is meant to be rack mounted, it also makes far too much noise to be used in the same room where recording is going on. It lives in the same location as my G4. So I don't know if we can point our fingers only at Mac.

I think many of us have one room studios. If you're like me, and record acoustically with condenser mics much of the time, gear noise is a real problem.

Manufacturers may strive to make components quieter, but that does not mean they will be silent. Until drives and fans are SILENT, and you're doing any recording with sensitive mics in the same room as this hardware, isolation seems to be the only remedy.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:32 PM

couldn't you just replace the fans? Apple does listen to what people say in message boards. So complain away. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wiz
Old 11-18-2002, 10:15 PM

Well on the fact of having 4-8 G5 chips and eventually a possible move to all Native plugs, you get to thinking well what is the difference. The difference is in the programing of the plugs. TDM plugs that are the same as RTAS sound better as the plugs have more space to work with in the real time processing
Better, more complex algorhytms in the TDM DSP than native. Try some A -B tests. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]