Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-04-2002, 10:49 AM

Default How many Megs does a 4 minute song with maybe 3 stereo tracks/13 mono tracks take up?

Can someone help me with this question please? I'm going to get an iMac flat panel 700Mhz G4, which comes with a 40 Gigahertz drive, and I was wondering just how much does one song actually take up? With a couple of plugins, nothing big.
Thanks to all!

Sergeman

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/317/serg.html

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 08-04-2002, 11:26 AM

Default Re: How many Megs does a 4 minute song with maybe 3 stereo tracks/13 mono tracks take up?

If your at 24 bit then it roughly 7.5 meg per mono minute. If your bit rate is 16 bit figure 5 meg per mono minute.

You have 19 mono tracks at 4 minutes = 19*4*7.5
or 570 meg (at 24 bit).

Carl
Old 08-04-2002, 11:35 AM

Default Re: How many Megs does a 4 minute song with maybe 3 stereo tracks/13 mono tracks take up?

Thanks Carl, that's what I needed! Another small question... if then, it takes that for 19 mono, then I guess most or all of you really record songs (whatever lenght and track count) and then save them to CD as both final mixes (and masters) AND ALSO completely dry (with no plugins I mean)? Do you do this?

Thanks again!

Sergeman

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 08-04-2002, 02:31 PM

Uh, not exactly. Mixes, and 'masters' yes, I keep those in a seperate folder. But as far as the 'dry', no. I simply back up the entire session upon completion (after clearing all unused files) to a CD-r. The 'mastered' versions and mixed (pre-mastering) stay on my HD (I use iTunes as a personal catalogue of my material). If I ever need to do an alternate mix I just pull it from the cd-r.