Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 10-20-2022, 11:18 AM

Default ARTIST MIX: How do I stop folder tracks showing up on faders

Sorry for a basic question but I haven't been able to work it out.

I've just started using non-routing Folders to organise the tracks in a session. They show up by default on the Artist Mix hardware faders.

Is there some way of preventing them from doing this. I seem to remember that there was a dialog box which gave you the option of excluding various types of tracks (MIDI, Auxs etc) but that might have been my imagination!

Any ideas much appreciated.

PS Just to clarify, I want the audio tracks contained within the folder to be displayed when "a fader slot is defined as "auto assigned" but I don't want the actual containing folder to show up and take up a precious fader.

Last edited by amathie; 10-20-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: To clarify wording
Old 10-25-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Re: ARTIST MIX: How do I stop folder tracks showing up on faders

Hmmm, can you move these basic folder tracks around independently of their "child" tracks? If you can, you could move them all to the far right(or left) of the MIX window. Alternately, can you hide them without affecting the rest of the tracks? If none of that works, hopefully someone else has some ideas

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Avid

One workflow for this is to close all the folders. Then double tap the Sel button to reveal the tracks in that folder. Work on them and then close the folder again and open another. Currently there is no way to hide these from the surface unless you make Inactive or hidden in PT...but then you can't get to the tracks in them.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:41 PM

I would suggest you move all tracks out of the folders, delete the folders and carry on as you did before folders were introduced to Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 10-27-2022, 02:34 AM

No they won't acutally. The child tracks stay next to the containing folder when the folder is open.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
One workflow for this is to close all the folders. Then double tap the Sel button to reveal the tracks in that folder. Work on them and then close the folder again and open another. Currently there is no way to hide these from the surface unless you make Inactive or hidden in PT...but then you can't get to the tracks in them.
Yes, that seems to work, although I haven't been able to get the contained tracks to reveal themselves when double tapping the Select button (I'll give that another go); but I can open the folder from the Pro Tools interface with a simple mouse click.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
I would suggest you move all tracks out of the folders, delete the folders and carry on as you did before folders were introduced to Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I rather like that idea, with a flat rather than hierachical organisation. It has a simplicity which my brain is better suited to.

Another thing my brain has difficulty coping with is when one has more tracks to display on the hardware surface than one has faders for, (that's most of the time) . When I bank to reveal tracks that are "of the ends" of the hardware surface, the position of the tracks obviously changes and I loose orientation and my brain takes time to learn/adjust to the new track fader posistions.

A new method that I like is that I create as many layouts in the Euphonic control as I require to position each group of tracks on the faders in fixed optimal positions. I have three Artist Mix units, the right hand unit always displays the major stem busses: Drums - Bass - Guitars - Vocal - Backing Vocals and the Mix buss. The other two units deal with the individual tracks and sub busses.

so for example
Layout 1 DRUMS
Fader 1: Kick
Fader 2: Snare
Fader 3: HiHat
Faders 7 & 8: Overheads
Faders 9 & 10: Snare reverb return
Faders 11 & 12: Drum reverb (virtual space)
Faders 17- 24: Stem buses and Mix bus

Layout 2 GUITARS
Fader 1: Acoustic guitar a
Fader 2: Acoustic guitar b
Fader 3: Acoustic guitar reverb
Fader 4: Electric guitar a
Fader 5: Electric guitar b
Fader 6: Electric guitar solo
Fader 7: Guitar solo
Fader 8: Guitar reverb
Fader 9: Guitar bus

Faders 17- 24: Stem buses and Mix bus

------------------------

I then can switch very quickly between these layouts using an iPad with Pro Control, with all the layouts I need, clearly displayed on one iPad screen.

In this way, although a given fader will not always be immediately visible, it can be recalled nearly instantly with a tap on the iPad screen and with always be in the same place.

I'm always keen to improve my workflow so please keep suggestions coming!
Old 10-27-2022, 04:30 AM

I have not been using control surfaces (Command8 and Artist Mix) very extensively or for very long. My approach has been; I get to know about this stuff slowly as I find new things it might help me with. My main goal has been to get more and more eyes away from the screen to help me listen better when I mix.

I never got along with foldertacks/routingfolders. From the start they behaved badly for me, open/closed status changing etc, and they just got in the way. So I use mostly AUX'es and VCA's.

With my single (soon to be dual) Artist Mix, I have basically only one Eucontrol layout; it fixes my main outs to fader one.

One thing that I find very cool about VCA's is very simple but very powerful:

A very simple example:
A typical session w/rock band:
VCA1: BEAT
All drums+bass tracks
VCA2: GIT+KEY
guitars+keyboard
VCA3: VOX
Main vocal + background vox.

I place the VCAs to the left in the mixer window, so that they are next to the main fader. If I bank right, the main out will follow and always be on the leftmost fader but not the VCAs. This gives me quick access to solo or mute the main sections of the mix via the VCAs. Then I can solo/mute within those main sections individual tracks, provided that the VCA groups are not enabled.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:00 AM

That sounds like it works well.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying out the above method which I'm quite liking. I start with just four closed folder tracks occupying the first four left hand faders (so far very neat and in control) and then open one of the folders so that the contained tracks spill out on to the faders.

Just one bit of advice needed here. I know that by double tapping the Sel button, that folder track opens but then how do I close the folder to get back to where I started with the four closed folders visible. On double tapping the Set button, the folder track on the hardware surface is overwritten by the 1st track within the folder. Is there a button or command on the Artist Mix to close the folder? I can do it with a mouse click on the Pro Tools GUI but it would be nice if there was a hardware option.