Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 AM

Default Avid Artist Community vs. Cloud Collaboration

I am wondering if the two are one and the same thing i.e. Are they both bound by the same license agreement?

I simply will not be able to use the services of the Avid Artists Community due to the terms of the license agreement. Namely this clause.

Quote:
LICENSE TO POSTED CONTENT
By submitting the Posted Content for publication on the Site, you grant to AVID, and its subsidiaries, affiliates and cloud service providers, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, sublicenceable, non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, display, modify, distribute, store and create derivative works based upon (in any format whatsoever) the Posted Content for any purpose.
This is in direct contravention to my existing publishing agreements. It makes this service totally unusable without being in breach of my agreements. That's not going to happen.

That's a shame but not a big problem because I am quite happy with my existing publisher.

My concern is, will the same license agreement, or something similar be applied to Cloud Collaboration? If so, Avid CC is also going to be completely useless to me and no doubt many other of your professional users.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Avid Artist Community vs. Cloud Collaboration

Even though non-exclusive?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
Even though non-exclusive?
The point is, I have already assigned exclusive rights to my publisher. I am legally bound NOT to assign them anywhere else, non-exclusive or otherwise.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 AM

Same here.

Universal Music Group would never allow us to use anything that is bound by those words and meanings ever No Go here unless we only use our private demo ideas as those aren't bound by these restrictions.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 AM

Hopefully this does not apply to simply collaborating in Pro Tools via the Cloud...
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
Hopefully this does not apply to simply collaborating in Pro Tools via the Cloud...
Indeed. Unfortunately the TOS mentions assigning rights to
Quote:
cloud service providers

That implies to me a similar TOS may apply for CC.

PLEASE don't do this Avid. Has Avid built a significant infrastructure at significant cost here that many simply will NOT be able to use for contractual reasons?

I'm no lawyer but I simply don't understand why there has to be any such clause in the terms of service anyway.

I showed my publisher the Gobbler TOS which were very similar. He just laughed. I can't repeat what he had to say about it due to forum rules!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:07 PM

I may be missing something, but not doing it for contractual reasons doesn't seem to be the only reason not to post material up.

The terms as stated allow them to freely do whatever they want with whatever you post up, forever.

Contract or not, that sounds like a bad arrangement, and it is likely to be fatally detrimental to any future contract you may be offered.

Well clear is where I'm staying.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 03-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Mmm, that's just plain terrible. Be sure to spread the word about this people!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Mmm, that's just plain terrible. Be sure to spread the word about this people!!
Just don't use the service. If the TOS for Cloud collaboration is the same it's useless.

As for Avid Marketplace, nobody makes any money out of the Internet anyway. If I look at my online royalties compared to my broadcast royalties. Well it's a few pounds versus the price of an S6 to avoid paying unnecessary tax according to my accountant.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM

I tried to ask about this during the cloud collab webinar the other day and no one responded. They did respond that these two things will be closely knit. I think it's one of those things that we'll just have to wait and see. In the webinar Avid will not be setting up the market place in that capacity to pay artists, although it is in their plan. For the time being in reality, the cloud will simply be a more integrated 'Dropbox' system. As for the ToS, no one seemed to want to answer my questions.

For me it didn't matter once it was pointed out to me that SoundCloud, CBCmusic and various other free streaming products have much of the same terminology. I'm also not signed to any exclusive rights contracts with a publisher; I'm the rights holder. I do, however, understand the implications of this to those who are. Furthermore, how it disables those to participate...those who are the ones that we, the unsigned, would like to collaborate with! :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors