How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Default Life Goes By........

Hey guys........

I wrote a little tune on Saturday when I had a few hours home alone.......

All 11-Rack tones & Pro-Tools LE.......& drums from the included loops disk.....

No bass yet.....Sorry.........

I think my mixing & panning skills are getting better.......& I just love the ease of using 11-Rack & PT-LE together........

No animals were harmed while making this music.....lol....Well maybe my pug Zeus's ears were harmed a little.......

I recorded each verse & chorus as a complete section (the lead) to get a better flow........I tried to not cut & paste so much........This made it a lot harder to get a good usable take.........I played each verse at least 10 times before I liked one or it was usable........Each chorus was done 1st because I wanted that happy / majestic type of a feel to it.......& that is using the neck pickup there as well........Verses are the bridge pickup......of a Plaid Samick Radio Ten.........& I was also wearing black Chuck Taylor All Star High Tops & a wife beater t-shirt..........

Enjoy........Life Goes By

Peace! X-Mann

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9828024

PS - The tones all came from different guys on this forum so thx......The outro tone is 1 of the David Torn presets........Mike gave me the main lead patch...........Thx Mike.........& VSA gave me the inspiration to try & make a cool tune & share it.........It is what it is & it makes me smile.........C ya.....
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: Life Goes By........

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post

I recorded each verse & chorus as a complete section (the lead) to get a better flow........I tried to not cut & paste so much........This made it a lot harder to get a good usable take.........I played each verse at least 10 times before I liked one or it was usable.......
That's how it's done son.. Start to finish.. This method will also bring your playing to the next level. Many of my best recordings look like they could of been done on a tascam 4-track.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Life Goes By........

That's what I'm talkin about X-mann! That's how you bring it son!!!!

That's off to a great start for just a few hours of time put into it bro!

Keep em coming!

Peace
Mike

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM

Well done. the 11R sounds great, nice playing

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
That's what I'm talkin about X-mann! That's how you bring it son!!!!

That's off to a great start for just a few hours of time put into it bro!

Keep em coming!

Peace
Mike

Your my boy Blue!

Lets get something straight...........I put in 3 to 4 hours on Saturday & an hour on Sunday & this little tune is only like 2 minutes & 40 seconds long........So that's a lot of time when you really think about it.......Most of it was spent trying to get those long consecutive takes w/ no guitar noise, bad vibrato or crappy slides......I tried my best to add that VSA/Andy Timmons quality....but that aint easy for me...........I also noticed by not having anything preplanned lead wise it made everything sound fresh.......After 10 takes I did find that I had been tweaking the lead a little bit each time.......Then at some point you just have to stop & say that's the one......Lol

I wrote the starting progression a few days before & I actually simplified it to sound less busy.......I've also been taking notes from what you guys all post on here about your tunes........So this is really a testament to the guys on this forum.......

These comments are way cool from you guys..........So thx 4 that......What guitar player dosen't like to hear feedback.....

I will be adding some bass this weekend & may try to add one more section.......I'm not sure where to go w/ it at this point.........but I will try to finish it this weekend so I can move on to another darker tune I've got goin as well............

The fact that I stole great tones that others made really helped as well.......

Peace! X-Mann
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Nice job brother! I don't know if you know of this feature but theres that loop recording thing you can do which you can find Sean Halley go over in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/avid#p/c.../4/3iPB837IOEA

Since I have an issue with reading what they call in the industry "User Manuals" I ran across this video and was like "Whaaaa??!!"... I am pretty sure this feature alone will revolutionize the way I personally go about recording tracks. Previous to this, I end up with like 10 tracks of multiple passes and since I suck punching in because I find that I rarely give myself any breaks in the lines I play to be able to punch myself in, I think this will put an end to all that and keep me from having to hit record, play, stop, new track, record, play, stop, new track, record...etc... and hopefully capture some more inspirational phrases while I am "in the moment" if that's even possible!? LOL :)

Anyway I thought about you and the comment you made about the amount of time you spent and hopefully (unless you knew about this already and I'm about a year late for the party!) this will save you some time and result in more playing and less engineering!

Again, great job and hope to hear MORE! :)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM

This is a great tip / video VSA.....love it & wish I would have used it or known about it...............I did it thing the hard way......Lol
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Hey man, cool tones and playing. Living up to your nick I see
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
Hey man, cool tones and playing. Living up to your nick I see
Lol.......

I play in an all 90's band The X-Generation & my name is Tim Mann......
So..........X-Mann was just kind of logical.......

Plus I love the whole Wolverine / X-Men / Sci-Fi thing.......So......Yea.....I'm a total dork (even designed a tattoo logo)..........
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of "you the man", but I guess that works too!

What amp were you using for the lead tone? I love that "liquidy" saturated tone!