Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 AM

Default Slaving a video recorder/camera to PT HD transport? Recording synced video with audio

Hi,
We've been asked to do a VO job where they want synced video of the talents face with the dialogue recordings.

The video doesn't need to be high quality.

My question is how do you slave a (cheap...) video camera to PT's transport. So when you punch in etc the camera records and the timecodes match between the session and the video?

Tools at our disposal, Unitor 8 (with LTC, VITC, in out) and MOTU Digital time piece (SMPTE, LTC, VITC, MTC)

We have a Canopus AV110 firewire interface, is it possible to capture from a camera straight into a PT HD session using the Canopiss?

Also we have another mac with a Blackmagic capture card, possibly we could link the systems?

Sorry if this is a bit vague but i thought this would be the best place to start, hopefully get a poke in the right direction.

cheers
Paul

PT HD 7.4 PPC
Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Slaving a video recorder/camera to PT HD transport? Recording synced video with a

Hi Paul,
I do all of my video work in Final Cut Pro, then export a Quicktime file (Low resolution is fine). I then Import the QT video into Pro Tools and add whatever I need (VO, FX, Foley, Soundtracks), do my audio edits/mixes and export everything back to FCP for final authoring. Everything is zeroed out and synced. I have used various cameras/decks via PT transport, but I find that you need a SYNC|HD box and Machine Control (extra cash/gear that I have no other use for since I have another clocking source that I prefer). Hope that helps.
-Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Slaving a video recorder/camera to PT HD transport? Recording synced video with a

thanks.
We're well versed in sound to picture post production.
Its just the simultaneous recording of video and audio in the protools environment i'm interested in. (Or at least with the same TC on both the files)
I think with the Unitor and the Motu DT we have most of the functionality of a Sync HD.
I've just been looking into VirtualVTR running on a separate mac with a capture card. Could be a possibility...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 AM

I'm not familiar at all with the particular pieces of equipment you're using, but what I've done for such sessions was to run the TC from PT over to our AJA Kona3 video interface located on another machine and patched the output from the camera to an input on the same interface. With the AJA's utility suite, we can then record with BITC. After the session, we ingest the selected takes into the FCP timeline, spot them to their timestamp, cut the video to match and export to whatever format is required. I'd imagine this type of thing could be done with the equipment you listed, but I've never used BlackMagic products and you don't list which model you use.

When I've done this, it was for things that would go to CG and the graphics guys wanted the BITC. It could be done without it, by just logging your video capture to incoming TC.

IHTH
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

I have a similar question. I am looking at purchasing a consumer Canon HD video cam to record a pianist while recording audio into PT. My plan was to record the video with it's built in audio and the PT audio at the same time but not locked to code, then import them into Final Cut Express and replace the built in video audio with the PT audio and author down to DVD. Is this possible or will i run into sync issues?

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn-g View Post
I have a similar question. I am looking at purchasing a consumer Canon HD video cam to record a pianist while recording audio into PT. My plan was to record the video with it's built in audio and the PT audio at the same time but not locked to code, then import them into Final Cut Express and replace the built in video audio with the PT audio and author down to DVD. Is this possible or will i run into sync issues?
Yes... been there done that. NOT fun for the editor. Sync is a must. Look for posts by Eric Seaberg, DIAFFMX, and some others. They know the deal.
If you are doing a one camera shoot, your are in even deeper poop, as there is nothing else to "cut to".(other camera angles) to make up for the drift (several frames every few minutes)if you do it as you are planning. good luck. SB