Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Default System Usage showing <10%, Activity Monitor showing >110%. What is going on??

I'm getting constant -6101 errors every 10-20 seconds playing back a single VI (Kontakt or Superior Drummer, doesn't change result) and two audio tracks. CPU usage in Pro Tools is hovering around 6% while playing back, but viewing this in Activity Monitor, it says Pro Tools is using 120% cpu!! What the heck is going on here??

With just having Pro Tools running, without a session even open, Activity Monitor reports Pro Tools using 27% of CPU. Is this normal behaviour? Could someone else running PT on Mac OS tell me what their Activity Monitor is reporting with Pro Tools open but no session open?
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Re: System Usage showing <10%, Activity Monitor showing >110%. What is going on??

They simply do not give a s***
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Default Re: System Usage showing <10%, Activity Monitor showing >110%. What is going on??

Using VI's and ProTools options are to use another daw or host in VEP. Sad. Broken midi. Years of this now.....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
I'm getting constant -6101 errors every 10-20 seconds playing back a single VI (Kontakt or Superior Drummer, doesn't change result) and two audio tracks. CPU usage in Pro Tools is hovering around 6% while playing back, but viewing this in Activity Monitor, it says Pro Tools is using 120% cpu!! What the heck is going on here??

With just having Pro Tools running, without a session even open, Activity Monitor reports Pro Tools using 27% of CPU. Is this normal behaviour? Could someone else running PT on Mac OS tell me what their Activity Monitor is reporting with Pro Tools open but no session open?
CPU on activity monitor window shows the % of each cpu. When it tells you 120% it means that you are using 120% of 400 given that you are running a quadcore. About 30% of the entire power
Old 06-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:

This CPU burn is typically a clear symptom of a bad plugin, and the CPU errors should have you troubleshooting plugins anyhow. But the CPU burn likely makes this even easier to debug. Try moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin directory, trash prefs then start Pro Tools. Do you still see this behavior? If so put the third party plugin files back in batches until the problem starts happening again. And keep playing until you locate the bad plugin(s). If it is not a plugin I have some other ideas of things to look at. Can you confirm your setup info... signatures are often out of date.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-17-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm getting constant -6101 errors every 10-20 seconds playing back a single VI (Kontakt or Superior Drummer, doesn't change result) and two audio tracks.
Hello fellow Canadian. Sorry, I must ask (i) What buffer settings are you using ? (ii) What is the interface you are using ? (iii) What sample rate are you running at ?

Each of these will have huge impact on performance with VIs. That CPU you are using in the old Mac Mini is not going to be great at low latency.

ejinbc
Old 06-17-2020, 11:08 AM

It’s Protools
Bad coding
That’s all

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 06-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Apple will start to switch to ARM cpu architecture soon. Makes you wonder how long will it take Avid to recode PT this time. Huge chance to get it right this time....
Old 06-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosz idzi View Post
Apple will start to switch to ARM cpu architecture soon. Makes you wonder how long will it take Avid to recode PT this time. Huge chance to get it right this time....
Not so long I guess. This drill has already been done earlier when Apple swithced from PPC to Intel. Even then from 68k to PPC but that was painful. Now that Apple systems are already Universal Binary aware, getting the software complied to new architecture should be trivial. Obviously some optimization needed after that but as far as I can guess, this will be easier transition than 64-bit only.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Not so long I guess. This drill has already been done earlier when Apple swithced from PPC to Intel. Even then from 68k to PPC but that was painful. Now that Apple systems are already Universal Binary aware, getting the software complied to new architecture should be trivial. Obviously some optimization needed after that but as far as I can guess, this will be easier transition than 64-bit only.
Bound to be way more complex than just a compile. My concern is Avid seemed to have lost so much deeper technical talent and seems to struggle doing fairly straightforward general software development, or even packaging their software properly (to pick up on multiple issues I've seen not addressed). And it's not just the core application, it's all the plugin vendors that need to move over as well. I hope it is not but I will not be surprised if it ends up being quite painful.