Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Midi Clips View Problem, option + "-" keyboard shortcut broken

I am a big fan of using the "option" + "-" keyboard shortcut to bring all of my Pro Tools tracks back to either volume or waveform display, basically so that, within my complex session, I can instantly get all my tracks back to a clean waveform view. I like to do the same for a session using midi tracks too but partway into an edit session the key command will often "break," so that when I hit option - it won't bring my midi tracks back to clips view (what I find most useful) but instead it'll bring them back to velocity view, a far less useful visual tool. It's basically like a re-calibration error whereby Pro Tools thinks that audio tracks waveform view and midi tracks velocity view are treated as the same, instead of waveform/clips which is the normal relationship. It frustrates the hell out of me. Sometimes I can correct it by setting all tracks to waveform view then going through and manually changing each midi track back to clips view THEN using the option - shortcut. That only works sometimes. Please help if you have any ideas or solutions and thank you!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Midi Clips View Problem, option + "-" keyboard shortcut broken

By the way, the key command as listed in the Pro Tools Shortcuts.pdf is:

Action:Toggle Track View on all tracks
Mac: Option+Minus (–) key (on computer keyboard)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Further explanation:

When a session "breaks" as I've described, the Minus key used on an individual midi track toggles between velocity view and notes view instead of notes view and clips view. That's a change that I can't account for.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 AM

I realize this is a ~5 month old thread - but I have the same problem. I distinctly remember certain sessions of mine doing what I'd expect (swapping between velocity view and clips view is what I expect, which is slightly different from kingtinker's expectations) and doing the notes/velocity swap.

It's extremely frustrating. I know Avid seems to be wholeheartedly against user-definable key shortcuts (which is understandable - I actually come from the post production/sound design/editing world, and having universal key commands is nice - I can work anywhere and not get confused). But, this is one I would love to have a preference for.

(My ideal would be to have completely user-definable shortcuts, which can be saved as a file for editors to take with them when editing on other systems, but maybe that's just me...)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:18 PM

Hi! this is quite an old topic, but since I was having the same 'problem' I was googling for it and this thread showed up as first hit on google. Well it's not a bug and this is the solution: turn 'zoom toggle' (left from Tab Transients under the smart tool) off and it will switch from clip to note view and back with the cmnd+minus shortcut. Actually I had to turn it on first and then turn it off again to have everything working well.

Moreover, while I was wondering why in some sessions the minus key without command was also working to switch between clip and notes for midi, and why in other sessions it didn't, here's the answer: the small a-z icon determines 'keyboard focus' for 3 area's: 1) the clip list, 2) the group list 3) the time line. When enabled in the timeline (on the top right corner of the edit timeline) you don't need to hold command to have the minus key switch selected tracks from notes to clip view and back.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:47 PM

Robert, many thanks! I don't work with MIDI often, but I'm doing some now, and this was really annoying. I got the option-minus shortcut on my mouse and had so for 20 years and everytime I changed a volume all my MIDI tracks went to velocity, and would not go back in clip view.