Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2001, 11:04 AM

Default Magic ID/line 59 errors?

I have PowerMac 9600/ 200 w/Newertech G3 400 card, OS 9.1, PT Mix card, PT 5.1.
I'm conforming several sessions into one right now (on 2 separate drives). For instance:
24 tracks of final stems
16 Tracks of original dialogue
8 tracks of new dialogue
12 tracks another session of new dialogue

I've been fine up till importing the first batch of new dialogue. it was imported in fine but after closing and trying to re-open the session I was given either "Magic ID" or "An assertion occured in Xchg.cpp line 59 while translating fade region list" error.

what is happening here?
All the sessions were opened/saved first on their own drives before combining (or attempting to combine) them.

Yours
Jussi Tegelman
Old 09-27-2001, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Magic ID/line 59 errors?

Here's a fewe more messages I'm getting while doing this:
"An unexpected stream type was encountered while translating audio playlists"
"Size of header doesn't match amount of data read while translating tracks"
"End of file reached (-39) while translating tracks"

This keeps happening even if I have a session (for example) version 4 open and save that as version 5 (to be able to continue and further big changes/imports to this session. I close the session (v.5) and while trying to re-open it I'm getting one of these messages and PT crashes. I can go back to version 4 but I gotta keep this moving ahead.
I have a feeling that this has something to do with fade files and disk allocation.

Somebody help

Yours
Jussi Tegelman
Old 09-28-2001, 06:31 AM
Avid

It appears that one or more of the following have become corrupt:
-Audio File(s)
-Fade File(s)
-Session file

-If you suspect a Fade file, trash the Fade Files folder and have Pro Tools rebuild them when the session is re-opened.

-To eliminate the corrupt session file theory, create a new session and use the File>Import Tracks option to move the tracks.

-If the above suggestions don't fix the problem, you probably are dealing with a corrupt audio file. Import the audio files into a session, one-by-one: Save, Close and re-Open the session each time until narrow down the culprit(s).

Brent
Old 09-28-2001, 11:32 AM

The only case where I've heard the "MagicID" error coming up is when there's incorrect SCSI termination or some other problem with the HD being used.
That error basically means that the session document is "corrupt." I don't think it has anything to do with fades or disk allocation or anything like that.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

I still think that the problem are the fades.
I tried to trash all the fades and start fresh in that regard. At that point I couldn't trash a large part of the fades because the computer couldn't find them,
After using Disk Warrior I managed to get rid of the fades. After that I started to open the session version starting from the oldest up to the most recent ones till I hit a session that was, propably due to the crashes, corrupted and wouldn't open.
I had been combining different sessions in order to comform them together and I had been using "save as" command before every big change in case something would happen ( and it indeed did).
This was ok for awhile till I started to open the latest versions which were corrupted and I had to back up. I tried to import the latest session that I was still able to open and import the tracks into a fresh session, but there was still a few problems so I stopped.
After this I started clean from the top, conformed a piece and instead of "saving as" I made a brand new session (R2 for instance) and imported the tracks and so on.
So far it's been OK.
So I'm thinking that the "save as" command is not working properly with the fades and sessions start to lose track of the fades.
What do you think? A fade/"save as" related bug?

Yours, Jussi Tegelman
Old 09-29-2001, 09:30 AM

The fact that you had to use Disk Warrior because "the computer couldn't find the fades" is another strong piece of evidence that the problem was with the drive.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:52 AM

OK, if it is the drive, could the formatting have something to do with it. these drives were formatted with FWB and not ATTO, since ATTO has been causing a few problems when going from different systems to another? We have mix stages that do have Adaptec cards and so on and taking drives formatted with ATTO Express to different rooms was problematic.
I did encounter this same problem last time I was conforming a similar project. I tried to copy everything on ATTO formatted drives but it didn't help. That time the solution seemed to be trashing all the fade files and redo them when opening the sessions again.

Yours, Jussi Tegelman
Old 09-29-2001, 02:28 PM

I'm not an expert on all the SCSI issues. If you search the DUC, there have been many threads dealing with FWB vs. ATTO formatting, SCSI chain termination etc.

It's mysterious that trashing the fades has any effect. When you had the problem the last time, did you see the same "Magic ID" errors? Did you also have to use Disk Warrior to get rid of the fades?
Old 09-29-2001, 06:34 PM

No, last time I had very same kind of problems, I finally just tried trashing the fades and it worked.
These drives have been working fine since and before those occasions. This has happened to me only when combining/and conforming these large sessions of 2 or more different drives. And using "save as' a lot. It's something we have to do every once in a while when films are re-edited.
And come to think of it, I did a lot of similar work at one of the big studios a week ago and had no problems. Their drives were formatted with ATTO Express Tool.
I'm just shooting in the dark here and trying to guess.

Jussi Tegelman
Old 10-01-2001, 11:11 PM

Well, I just heard from a fellow PT user that he had similar problems with ATTO Express formatted drives, so that can be counted out (ATTO versus Adaptec/ FWB versus Express Tool).
He was doinf a lot of "saving as" on a similar project.
\

Jussi Tegelman