Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 02:36 AM

Default The futute of 001 (again)?

OK,I know this isn't the most original subject to talk about right now, but I just finished reading an article on Mix magazine reviewing 24/96 daws and talking about the future of digital audio. What about us 001/LE users stuck with 24/48? Do anybody has any news about what this (entry level)PT version will become in the next future? My 001 system is not yet one year old ( [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), and since MBox seem just like a toy to me, like a little lunch box for toasted bread and snacks (joking), I just wouldn't want to trade it for another system 24/96 capable, and shell out more money. So my final question is: is the development of 001 over and so it's going to be an endangered specie, or can we expect to see some hardware upgrade toward 24/96 along with the next release of PT 5.2 or 5.3 or whatever they are going to call it?

Please don't hit too hard on me...

L.G.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 05:16 AM

Default Re: The futute of 001 (again)?

gerax,
I won't hit hard. Promise...

Personally, for me, I don't think I care much about the 96KHz issue. I know the studio guys will want that, and from a marketing point of view many will want to say they have it, but fundamentally I think a really well engineered 44.1/48K system with top of the line electronics will work for me for a long time to come.

I'd be amazingly happy if the next version of PTLE handled a number of things better:

1) More tracks - old story
2) Managed latency - old story for others - new story for me
3) More 'alternative' hardware interfaces - a couple of ADAT interfaces on the breakout box
4) External clocking support (maybe)
5) 2 really good preamps

If I gave it more thought I'm sure I'd have a few more to add...

That said, there is enough low cost 96K hardware out there (and even some good on-the-fly sample rate converter chips) that I'd guess the next one will be 96KHz, and just like 48K, I won't turn it on. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Hi Mark

Thanx for your reply. I understand that everybody has their own personal wish list for a new release of 001; the key factor to me is that the majority of the new features you'd like to see can be implemented by simply updating the software part of the system, while upsampling can be achieved only with a major upgrade in A/D D/A converters, be this by getting a third party box (as you said), or getting a new box from Digi (and thus preparing to shell out the ol cash...); my complain is that since I'm using 001 system for Hi Fi recordings (contemporary classical and jazz mostly),I'd need that Hi res capability within PT, and don't forget the compatibility issue: in a couple of years everybody and their mothers will be able and willing to record and mix at 96K, so the ones who can't or don't will be out of business real soon; this is no big deal if you're using PTLE for your own projects, but for those (including me) who need to be able to work on material coming from other sources (and maybe recorded at 96K) this is a key factor. As for the sample converter you were talking about, well, it depends on it, but in my own experience mixing and matching things almost always results in some kind of compromise.
The only thing I hope for is that 001 will not be the next Brontosaur of Digital audio [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanx

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 06:39 AM

Gerax,
I agree with everything you said. I think that in your scenario, there's no solution for 96KHz that doesn't cost money, right?

Here's one idea for Digi though. (If they're listening!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Maybe we could get just a new adapter card that had some additional 96KHz optical inputs or something like that. If that card handled 96KHz, then both you and I get what we want. They can upgrade the software to do the things I want, and you could interface other A/D & D/A based things into the new card.

I'm dying right now for at least another 8 inputs as returns from synths, and imagine that a year from now I'll want 24 more inputs!

Anyway, just an idea....

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-08-2002, 09:39 AM

from my standpoint, the 001 is a great way for entry level recordists to experience Protool... and for me, I use a TDM system at work, but can't afford the $10 grand for a home system, so it's perfect.

Personally, I think 24 audio tracks are quite enough. The only thing that affects me is the dual-monitor inconvenience... soft-synth would help, as well.

And it's been said before, but it would be nice to have all the features from the Mac 001, implemented on PC as well.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:22 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:

Here's one idea for Digi though. (If they're listening!) Maybe we could get just a new adapter card that had some additional 96KHz optical inputs or something like that. If that card handled 96KHz, then both you and I get what we want. They can upgrade the software to do the things I want, and you could interface other A/D & D/A based things into the new card.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmm, that would be way too cool for Digi to give away as an upgrade: Digi wants its customers "to earn" what they get [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (joking again); seriously, that could be a good idea, but keep in mind that all A/D and D/A conversion is taking place in the breakout box, so you would still be monitoring with old 48K max D/A converters, and they are more than critical, more than A/D for digital audio work, so unless Digi puts out a "fill in the blanks" box for D/A also, we're stuck with the nice beloved old blue one... (do I sound a little bit pessimist?)

Again Thanx [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

L.G.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:03 PM

No Gerax you DON'T sound pessimistic, it's real...A lot of new features in Pro Tools LE would mean SOFTWARE upgrade, but sampling rate,hmmm = HARDWARE (The BIG ol' CASH)= New Breakout Box.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:48 PM

To be honest,

I think that 96k is the least of digi's concern when it comes to home audio. They have yet acknowledged that the 001 can serve both as an amature system, and paired with a lot of other equipment can easily compete with some very high end systems. Their view is that the 001 is gonna be for the hobbiest (sp), and not intended for professional use. I would like to say that i have a studio that supports 24/96 but even in that case, i wouldnt record above 44k. i mean most pro studios right now only record at 24/44. To me its more of a catch phrase right now, especially considering that everything is gonna usually be bounced down to 16/44. When new higher density formats start making their way in then i can see the benifit of 24/96 or higher.

I think in general if you polled digi users as to would they rather have 96k or at least 32 tracks, i think you would find an overwhelming 32 track win. If anybody questions the integrity of your studio because you dont have 96k then simply state that the current pt version for your hardware does not support 96k, and that until the past month no tdm systems supported 96k. Make sure they know that 96k is more of a buzz word then anything else, and that you have pt and that should be what matters. If they want 96k tell them they can go to some other studio that does not have pt, or fork out massive bucks at a new hd studio, but other then that you got the best bang for the buck.

i know some people will be hard headed on the issue, but act like its not but water off your back, and that you have nothing to worry about. If they see that the whole 96k threat doesnt seem to bother you, and they know you know your stuff then they may come crawling back once reality hits them on this issue.

Anyway this is just my thoughts on the issue. Again like Mark said, if i did have it i probly wouldnt turn it on either. Even your clients wouldnt be able to tell the difference [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Christian
Old 03-08-2002, 05:17 PM

gerax,
Interesting comments from everyone.

I totally agree with your comments quoted below. I didn't mean Digi would give it away. It would be an upgrade I'd buy though. I was thinking a little more about this today:

1) Replace the current PCI card with a new card. The new card has the SCSI cable connector, the current ADAT interface, and some other interface (optical?) that allows me to go out to another piece of hardware like a DigiMAx or something like that. This new interface would be 96KHz, so those that want 96K can get it. This adds more inputs (not more tracks - that's a software issue) and 96KHz capability. Software would do 44.1/48K on the current breakout box with 88.2/96K on the new inteface at the same time. (They can coexist in the same session I'm sure, as long as they are 2:1.)

2) Maybe a second PCI card that goes into my system in a second slot. Digi makes some new card that PTLE can see (so we're still locked into their software/hardware) but it has the new 96KHz interface in #1 above, and maybe both a 1394 interface and a USB interface. That way we can go out to a MOTU 896 or an M-BOX.

My limitiation right now is not really tracks, but inputs. I think I'll be fine for a long time with 24 recorded audio tracks, as long as I can get more live audio in. I may end up buying an AI-3 for sound modules, but I need another ADAT interface for 8 channels coming from GigaSampler. I'd like to put a second card in my machine because I need more inputs...

Cheers,
Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by gerax:

Mmmmm, that would be way too cool for Digi to give away as an upgrade: Digi wants its customers "to earn" what they get [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (joking again); seriously, that could be a good idea, but keep in mind that all A/D and D/A conversion is taking place in the breakout box, so you would still be monitoring with old 48K max D/A converters, and they are more than critical, more than A/D for digital audio work, so unless Digi puts out a "fill in the blanks" box for D/A also, we're stuck with the nice beloved old blue one... (do I sound a little bit pessimist?)

Again Thanx [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

L.G.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-08-2002, 06:55 PM

I think Mark's got a very good idea, here with the "new" PCI card- I'd make it USB-2 so we'd get 40x the performance of current USB, and let's toss a couple DSP chips on the second card for a Mini-farm card while we're up!