Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 02:26 AM

Default Why o why do you change the pro tools shortcuts?

Hi everyone,
I've upgraded recently my Protools 12 to 2022.4. I've not tested all the features yet, but I was really surprised that the keyboard shortcuts that I was using since Pro tools 8 was changed like muting a clip with ctrl+m. Why Avid?! Couldn't you just add that feature to change the shortcuts and keep the shortcuts we memorised since a long time by default and do not force us to take this extra time to remap them how are used to? It would be nice also to have the visual "saving" feedback that we had when we hit ctrl+S in the lower left side of the editing window. Thanks you
Old 07-05-2022, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Why o why do you change the pro tools shortcuts?

I am running the very latest here and Ctrl-M works fine. Maybe your keyboard is the issue(I once had a stuck Ctrl key and it messed up everything). I'm sure that any changes would only be done after tons of requests. In any case, you are now free to change shortcuts as you like(at least in 2022.6).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2022, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your answer. It was definitely not an issue with my keyboard. When i looked in the keyboard shortcut menu it was ctrl+comma that was muting the clip, even undo was changed to ctrl+shift+w instead of the regular ctrl+shift+z if i remember correctly. There were other shortcut that changed also. I'm not in front of my pro tools but i think i have the 2022.4. And shortcut in my case have changed for sure.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:30 AM

I haven't seen any keyboard shortcuts change for me either moving through 2022.4 and I use TONS of shortcuts.

What happens when you go to Keyboard Shortcuts and choose "<factory default>"?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-05-2022, 09:39 AM

I will check that later when i will be in front of my Pro tools. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:41 AM

What keyboard layout do you use? I see that your location is set to France.

I believe that when they introduced the ability to remap keyboard commands they may not have accounted for different layouts. I've seen other users mention remapped shortcuts but I doubt this was the developers' intention. The comma key sits in the same position on a French layout keyboard as the M key would on a US ANSI layout.

I suggest opening a support ticket. They may resolve the difference in a future update if enough people complain.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:56 AM

Bingo Django!
i think you find the issue. I have a french keyboard so an AZERTY layout and actually Pro tools keyboard shortcuts take into consideration a QWERTY layout. I will check if there is not somewhere i can change that otherwise will open that ticket.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:22 PM

So Dizzi45Z when i choose "factory default", the shortcuts are reset to default but still in the US layout. JingleDjango points out the problem. It's the layout that is wrong. Even if i choose "Follow keyboard layout" some shortcuts became good but not all of them, i think because i have set the language of Pro tools in English. I had PT 12 in English but my keyboard layout was good. So Avid need to make a correction. I would love to only have a patch to correct that and not to upgrade to a new version of Pro tools and take the risk of dealing with other issues again. 2022.4 is rock solid for me: no crashes, no issues.