Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2022, 01:49 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
No M1 Max results?

Yeah the PT CPU Monitor is useless and should be ignored.
M1 laptops were also in the 90-100% range. I didn't list them as the test was done with inactive plugins pre plugin update release.

What makes you think the meters are useless? I wrote that the PT meters always reflected what the MacOS system monitor read. The only one I have no info about was the Studio (not my machine). The M1 mini crapped out after a few minutes (CPU error). I have no reason to believe that the meters were lying as the machine stopped playing. The Studio however needs some more investigation. Interesting to see a 10 year old 5,1 smoke an M1 mini after all the marketing fluff :-D
All the non-M1 readings in PT corresponded to the MacOS meters.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 03-27-2022 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Did you down load the PT Final Mix or Mastered zip?
Tests done with the final mix PT session. It's pretty light on voice count (around 260) but uses tons of plugins.
We used this session as it's based on built in PT plugins, has a heavy surround bussing structure and contains picture that everyone can access. So it's fairly real world comparison that challenges these machines.

Would be interesting to see at what point the Studio stops playing. Haven't tried to duplicate the folders to see if it still plays at twice the load.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 03-27-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
M1 laptops were also in the 90-100% range. I didn't list them as the test was done with inactive plugins pre plugin update release.
An M1 Max laptop would be the same as a Mac Studio (non-Ultra.) Which would be half the power of an Ultra, On a large session. performance is near linear.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:52 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
How many HDx cards do you use?
Hi Carl
I use one. BOught the Avid HDX chassis for it although Sonnet just about guaranteed it would work with their bigger PCIe chassis. I didn't wanna push my luck any more than absolutely necessary. The problem with either chassis is they are HUGE. My concern is top heaviness - so I'll have to find to way to keep it safe from tipping over
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-27-2022, 01:23 PM

Would love to know and hear experiences if anybody has used an Ultra with also first hand experience of a Max in studio or more likely macbook pro form, and the impact of them on big sessions

I have yet to see a real world "major label" style big pop production session demo , maybe VIs mixed with big track count and heavy processing master bus + other plugs (accepting PT's lack of optimisation at the moment).

Wondering if Max is more than enough for a 250 track session and therefore whether Ultra is overkill, given most of the demos online are like 8k video and multiple layers that put us audio peeps to shame with the processing requirements!
Old 03-27-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
Hi Carl
I use one. BOught the Avid HDX chassis for it although Sonnet just about guaranteed it would work with their bigger PCIe chassis. I didn't wanna push my luck any more than absolutely necessary. The problem with either chassis is they are HUGE. My concern is top heaviness - so I'll have to find to way to keep it safe from tipping over
Thanks for the reply. I use a single card as well. I've been quite happy with HDx. It's one of the few things I sunk money into that still proves itself each day.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Thanks for the reply. I use a single card as well. I've been quite happy with HDx. It's one of the few things I sunk money into that still proves itself each day.

C
According to Spitfire Audio's tests, HDX used quite a bit less cpu than native. Plus, I really love the sound of HDX.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-27-2022, 07:55 PM

I had a thought today on the whole M1\M2 etc cpu and the 2019 MacP. I suspect they will offer an upgrade module to be able to upgrade the CPUs to the latest rather than have to buy a whole new one. Fits in the mudular nature.. Nothing wrong with the current systems.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I had a thought today on the whole M1\M2 etc cpu and the 2019 MacP. I suspect they will offer an upgrade module to be able to upgrade the CPUs to the latest rather than have to buy a whole new one. Fits in the mudular nature.. Nothing wrong with the current systems.
They can't. The entire architecture is COMPLETELY different.

I mean the SSD controller is on the Chip itself. All the RAM, video etc is as well. And it is ARM not x86.

This guy breaks down the SSD's here and why it isn't upgradeable:
https://youtu.be/MANlo9fV9yI
Old 03-27-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I had a thought today on the whole M1\M2 etc cpu and the 2019 MacP. I suspect they will offer an upgrade module to be able to upgrade the CPUs to the latest rather than have to buy a whole new one.
Never going to happen. Are you unfamiliar with Apple and its 45years + history?