Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 PM

Default HD I/O clocking issues on HDX

Earlier this year, I upgraded my old HD rig to a new(er) computer with HDX, keeping the old Digi 192 interface. Everything was working great. However, recently I added an HD I/O and immediately noticed clocking issues, with dropouts and crackling. Digitest failed almost every time that the HD I/O was connected, but passed whenever just the 192 was connected or just the HDX card was tested. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting, changing cables, etc. with no improvement.

I replaced the HD I/O with another HD I/O and am still having the same issues, although seem to be less than the previous HD I/O. Still failing Digitest most of the time, and only fails when the HD I/O is connected. I tested the HD I/O with my old HD rig HD Core card, and it passed Digitest. With HDX, the HD IO has audible cracking on 192k sessions.

I reseated the HDX card and still have the same issues.

The most common Digitest errors when only the HD IO is connected are:
SDI 0 PIO TDM Loop Int B-A 192 Failed
SDI 0 TDM PIO Loop Int B-A 192 Failed
Additional errors are listed when the 192 is also connected with the HD IO via Loop Sync.

Here are my system specs: 2010 Mac Pro 5.1 2.66 gHz 12 core , Mac OS 10.14.6, Radeon RX 560 4 GB, 32 GB RAM, PT Ultimate 20.5.0.207, UAD-2 Quad PCIe & UAD2 Octo PCIe.

Any suggestions of what else I could try before looking to replace the HDX card? Thanks
Old 11-03-2020, 08:42 PM

Default Re: HD I/O clocking issues on HDX

Digitest is failing at 192 kHz. What sample rates are you trying to run your sessions at?

What length DigiLink cables are you using? Pay attention to maximum cable lengths at whatever sample rate you are using and keep any extension cables to 1.5 feet. But treat cables with suspicion. Pull stuff apart and test one box at a time (like you are), but test with with different DigiLink cables. Maybe you've done all that already.

Was this a used HD I/O? Have you any proof that it actually works?
Old 11-03-2020, 09:00 PM

Both HD IO's are brand new and so is the HDX card. I don't ever run 192k sessions, but it is having issues and showing additional failures in Digitest at lower sample rates when connected along with the 192 IO using loop sync. I want to be sure the HDX card is ok since it is still under warranty.

I tested the HD IO with different cables including the super short 20" mini Digilink jumper cable and with the old Digilink cable using mini adaptors at both ends.

Last edited by c-tone; 11-03-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:00 PM

I'm seeing the same thing! Have you fixed it?

Two HD I/O's, two 192 I/O's, same failure in the same "SDI 0 PIO tdm loop int b-a 192k" and "SDI 1 TDM PIO loop int b-a 192k"

When quitting PT, there would almost always be spikes that would pulse into the headphone rig, definitely not cool!

I pulled the 192's and put in a third HD I/O - same issues! pulled all the clocking (OCX) and have them all loop-synced to each other normally, and *sometimes* the second HD I/O loses inputs 9-16! I'm baffled.

HD I/O #1 is connected to HD I/O #2 on the short mini-Digilink - connected to port #1, and HD I/O #3 is directly connected to the HDX card on port 2...

Newish HDX card, MacPro 2019, been updating PT the last few months hoping for some kind of fix.

Note - we don't work at 192k, but this is less than ideal, all around.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:37 PM

Mine worked fine after replacing both of the new HD I/O's with a third new one. Not sure what the problem was, but swapping out HD I/O units eventually solved it. The HDX card and my old 192 were fine and gave no errors or issues.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:13 AM

First thing I would check is the Loop Sync cables. Make sure they are connected to create the correct path, and are fully seated(I have had one get loose and cause the same issue).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-29-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
First thing I would check is the Loop Sync cables. Make sure they are connected to create the correct path, and are fully seated(I have had one get loose and cause the same issue).
This.

BNC clocking cables are dirt cheap and even if you don't have spares you can use anything that has copper (like stripping a mic wire or anything) for short connections. There was one gig where I needed to use a twisted pair of a phone cable between two boxes (my bad, not enough spares) and it just works if the cable is not broken.

Half a meter overpriced Apogee Wyde Eye are just eating your money. Go to your local radioshack and ask for a dozen spares and I can guarantee an unused spare cable is better than 10-year old premium cable that has been connected and disconnected and coiled many times.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:47 AM

Curious:
Would any of this be related to the last 2 firmware updates?
HDX errors like; SDI 0 PIO TDM Loop Int B-A 192K—-failed