Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 PM

Default looking for a digital audio desk to run with Pro Tools 2018.7

I have been researching digital audio desks for my studio that can run issue free and priced around the US$3000.00-US$4500.00 range up to 32/32 I/O or at least 24/24. i thought this market would be big but it is difficult to get some views from other users and perhaps folks are simply not using these desks. the ones I have found are either obsolete so your investment may well become a boat anchor or the latest offerings seems to be only for their in-house DAW most of which clearly look to be not in the league of PT. why not an interface you say? well I want to be able to use the desk for live gigs too.

so if you are using a digital desk similar to the specs I mentioned above would love to hear from you.

cheers
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Re: looking for a digital audio desk to run with Pro Tools 2018.7

Second hand experience here, because I've set up a couple for other people. Presonus Ai live seems to get the job done quite nicely. Not only interfaces with Pro Tools, but also can record to an internal SD card. A friend of mine in Muscle Shoals used one and recorded major artists with it (til he got the Trident 90 from a Nashville studio, anyway!) It's certainly worth a look.

https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-32

Last edited by sw rec; 09-03-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:36 AM

I would also look at the Presonus, or the Midas M32. Both are solid live consoles. Not sure how they integrate with PT beyond the IO. I think the Midas offers a HUI mode that makes the right-hand bank of 8 faders work as HUI so they can control faders in your session. Then again, if you are willing to give Studio One a try, Presonus has done very good integration of their console and software Having mixed on both desks live, the Presonus has a handful of minor quirks, but nothing that would prevent me from using or recommending it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 AM

I am using an Allan and Heath Qu32 but with a Windows machine. It was finicky to set up but I believe that was just cuz Windoze, the manual makes it look a lot easier on Mac. When I was looking into digi desks(wanted a DIGI, couldn't afford) I found the Presonus, the A&H and Behringer all made desks that would work with PT. I did/would research by reading the manuals online and then if possible, getting a look at the build quality and of course see what others have said. I like my setup. I can use it as a control surface for mixing though it doesn't have the capability to do plugin control. I know there are desks that do more for more money, but I just have a little project studio and the preamps are neutral enough for drums, I have outboard for vocals, and it has a lot of routing options(they all do really). No matter what u get you will have to adapt for your own use, so the more you know what you want and check against what each can do the happier you'll be in the long run. My second choice was the Presonus. Just remember, most of these desks were designed for live use.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks for you input everyone....

Yup been doing a lot of reading, I’m new to digital mixers so my experience is on a big learning curve.... which tells me to take my time...... and pick your brains so I appreciate your feedback.

I first got offered a PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 AI but while I was waiting for the sellers to make their minds up I did some research even spoke with the local distributor who advised against the AI series due to them being discontinued and if anything ever failed spare parts will be difficult to get from them, they seem to be the only series that were/are compatible with PT. So that turned me off somewhat, so I did investigate the new PreSonus series 3 SL32 which really did turn me ON!!!! but then reading through their forum there are issues with Pro Tools and their DAW integration.... still couldn’t find out if I could just use it as a simple 32/32 I/O interface and by pass all the onboard features including automated faders, but couldn’t get a clear answer. Still looks like a great live desk too which is a plus and part of my requirements.... I know this ships with Studio One (not sure how that compares to PT, not really is what I hear) can I import those sessions into PT? The onboard SD card looks like it delivers files that are compatible with PT..... but what a process PpPpPpPppp

So then I started looking at the Soundcraft Si Impact which also looked promising but apparently it won’t work with PT as an I/O audio interface, seems you have to setup scenes to switch between an input scene and another seperate scene for output. I’m not sure how that is going to effect workflow or even if this present a inconvenience or not, seems to me it will present some annoyance or maybe it’s just a 1 button switch. Seems to be a great live desk perhaps for the price.... also there does seem to be a way of connecting via their patented network connection....... But! It doesn’t like mOS 10.13.6 hahaha

So I started looking further afield this morning and came across the A&H QU32 probably the first (of 2) desks I have come across that seems to be Pro Tools friendly actually it is looking very promising and with features not dissimilar to the PreSonus SL series. The big plus to is you go on their user forums and you don’t!!! see a lot of issues with PT which is a telling sign of goodness possibly. I’d have to say this beast has jumped to the top spot and it is good to see 64GTOBOY has one and is chiming in. Plus it is a current model of which the makers are looking to improve software wise. Looking forward to hearing more from you 64GTOBOY are you running 2018.7 with it?

And desk 2, there is a TASCAM DM4800 used but from a smoke free studio for AUS$1500.00 or US$1000 and change. This beast also looks interesting but again it is obsolete but at that price.... it also looks to intergrate with PT very well.... needs more research. Prolly could buy as a good quality interface for that price... tascam has been around a long time I used to own one of their old 4 track cassette studio decks, could be pretty good it looks in top notch condition not a scratch on it. How would it compare to say the A&H QU32? For third of the price of a brand new QU32 maybe it could very well pay for itself over a few years.... or is there anything I should be aware of with these consoles..... ie: what ware and tear and thing that tend to fail over time.

Also interesting the Tascam DM-3200 is still being sold locally brand new for AUS$4679.00

Cheers

Last edited by xrekcor; 09-03-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 AM

I am running 18.7 "Native" on a Dell xp with 4core i7 and 32g. I looked at the Tascam also and really liked it but for two things-fewer mic inputs than the A&H and the Qu series have been designed to work without a fan to cool power supply etc. and I wasn't too sure whether the Tascam would be noisier. Plus I like the way the Qu series implemented things like eq and panning better. The color touch screen, while not really necessary does make it easier to see things at a glance IMHO. Two things that I do find a little annoying(and this is really just picking nits): the power button is in an odd place for me to get to, and the ASIO driver does not load sometimes when I boot up my pc(which is probably a pc issue). I put a shortcut on my desktop for the Devices control panel so if it doesn't load I can force it to. It's not a big deal though. The only other thing I can say is that it does have a bit of a learning curve, the routing options are pretty deep so it can take a little menu diving and manual searching to get the setup working the way you like. I have to say that the used DM 4800 looks really good for that price, so I would definitely consider whether it fits your needs.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM

I use a Tascam DM4800 and it's an amazing tool for my studio. I don't use the analog element of the console much at all aside from driving my studio monitors with it. I used to use it with the tascam Firewire interface card (32/32). It was pretty nice but firewire support has waned and I switched to a Motu 112D to handle the transaction with the computer. Of course Tascam has discontinued this mixer and it's not really supported but it still works great. It can handle up to 96k and has a robust control surface element that gives you 24 faders (scrollable) worth of channel control. It also has transport and some location control.

The mixer itself is pretty robust. My setup is pretty extensive with external converters and pre's. I mostly use the mixer for digital plumbing, my house PA system, monitor control, and a control surface. I don't use the onboard pre's very often but occasionally they find their way into situations. With an external clock they stand up with my boutique stuff well enough. No one has ever complained that my bottom snare mic is lacking.

I wish Tascam had continued to develop this type of product. It's large, it lacks some of the modern formats like Madi or some kind of AVB element. It can run at 96k very well but their ADAT cards don't do SMUX, only the single ADAT on the console will do SMUX. Cards are harder to find because they mixer is out of production. You can buy these things for pretty cheap. I started with a DM24, then a DM3200 and finally, a DM 4800. I grew into each. Totally happy with the 4800.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 AM

64GTOBOY, BillytheB

thanks for your feed back, I really appreciate it. not long home from surgery this morning get a carpol tunnel release... so back to 1 finger typing doh! but got heaps of time to read manuals..... almost worked through PT2018.7's reference

I have a similar issue from time to time re ASIO driver, usually a quick hot plug and it pops up in Audio MIDI Setup on my MBP. by then I usually have to start PT while holding the "n" key. Not sure why but I think it is how I shut down my MBP or I have accidentally tried to open PT when the interface isn't plugged in.

I think the QU32 is better place at this stage, only due to it being current and looks like ongoing RD with it. plus as you mentioned more I/O (I know the DM4800 has capacity to increase) and possibly a lil noisey re fan(s) maybe Billy can pipe in here.... I suppose prolly not an issue if you have a seperate console room.... which is doable in my house we have room for a 2-3 room studio plus a console room. And no! I'm not a rich and live in a big mansion. we rent a lovely huge old house with more rooms than my 2 boys and I need..... however may very well look at a DM4800 later this year for the going price cheap enough kinda not to. can run PT 10 on it. there are 2 4800's a 1 x 3200 going locally at the moment. the plus is they can run at 96k to the QU32 48k.... maybe they can upgrade that in future through software?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would also look at the Presonus, or the Midas M32. Both are solid live consoles. Not sure how they integrate with PT beyond the IO. I think the Midas offers a HUI mode that makes the right-hand bank of 8 faders work as HUI so they can control faders in your session. Then again, if you are willing to give Studio One a try, Presonus has done very good integration of their console and software Having mixed on both desks live, the Presonus has a handful of minor quirks, but nothing that would prevent me from using or recommending it.
do you know if you can run the PreSonus series 3 SL32 as just an audio interface with PT and more directly 2018.7 I don't mind not having access to the onboard stuff while if I can use it as an audio interface I have enough stuff in PT to take care of the rest. those on board feature would be utilised in live scenarios.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM

boy that Midas M32 looks like a sweat piece of kit, loaded many a Midas desk into concerts when I roadied in my younger years. prolly more my next step as it is just a lil above my budget.