Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Default HEAT

Can I use HEAT if I don't have any Avid hardware.
I only use PT HD11 with PrismAudio USB external audio interface.
Thanks...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Default Re: HEAT

Can only be used with HDX systems. I have HDN with a 16x16 and own Heat but can't use it.

Heat was developed with the help of Dave Hill at Cranesong who makes Phoenix which is also a nice saturation plug.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Right, without TDM or HDX hardware, HEAT will not be available.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-14-2014, 09:53 AM

There are plugs available that can get you the distortion HEAT provides.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
There are plugs available that can get you the distortion HEAT provides.

C
Granted there are other plugins that offer harmonic distortion for your mixer the fact is that they are all different from each other. The Slate stuff is great but it is far more subtle than HEAT and the stereo field is not affected in the same way that it is with HEAT. It's a matter of personal preference of course as to which one you may prefer but the point is that there is no retrofit replacement for HEAT, if that is what one needs.

Last edited by WernerF; 06-22-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Granted there are other plugins that offer harmonic distortion for your mixer the fact is that they are all different from each other. The Slate surf is great but it is far more subtle than HEAT and the stereo field is not affected in the same way that it is with HEAT. It's a matter of personal preference of course as to which one you may prefer but the point is that there is no retrofit replacement for HEAT, if that is what one needs.
If you haven't already, try Digi Reel Tape Saturation. I use it regularly in my workflow. It's really great. Also, you probably know that Phoenix, made by Dave Hill as well(as HEAT), is very good and available in native format...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 AM

I think it's a licensing agreement, because HEAT surely can be used natively (offline bounce).

Just like Sonnox had an agreement that GML emulation can only be used with DSP-based systems, but it has changed because currently as PT11 allows native processing w/offline also Sonnox is allowing native customer using that GML magic if you only have the license on your iLok.

I wish Avid would follow the suit.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM

I used to use HEAT when it first came out. it def has initial impact (as designed-boost AVG amplitude and gives the illusion of "better") but I found that the honeymoon ended soon after.

I eventually concluded that it was a bit of a global transient crusher and felt I could get more targeted results using a mix of other tools.

BTW, HEAT is a compromised algorithm (has to be to fit into an expanding PT Mixer) that was finalized in 2006 and based on code from Cranesong's 2003 Phoenix plug. So unless you think there's been no improvements in DSP coding/modeling in the last 8 years, one could argue that HEAT is "dated" so to speak.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 AM

If you're specifically asking about Heat that's one thing but if you're asking about a great option for harmonic distortion then the thread could gladly down that route.

The harm. distortion market is flooded -- to our benefit, because there are now so many great options to choose from. I'd even say that Heat is one of my least favorite among those I've tried which by now is over 10 different plugins.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I used to use HEAT when it first came out. it def has initial impact (as designed-boost AVG amplitude and gives the illusion of "better") but I found that the honeymoon ended soon after.

I eventually concluded that it was a bit of a global transient crusher and felt I could get more targeted results using a mix of other tools.

BTW, HEAT is a compromised algorithm (has to be to fit into an expanding PT Mixer) that was finalized in 2006 and based on code from Cranesong's 2003 Phoenix plug. So unless you think there's been no improvements in DSP coding/modeling in the last 8 years, one could argue that HEAT is "dated" so to speak.
Yes I would say tape saturation sounds dated.
So with your Logic Phoenix II is dated as well - EXACT same alogo's ported to AAX.