Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 PM

Default MBox 2 On Mac pro tower no "system Pref control panel"?

I was using sound studio with my Mbox 2 on my old G5 mac tower. Just upgreaded to a Mac Pro tower, (intel). I don't use protools, (no offense,) But now I can't find the "Mbox 2 control panel" in the system preference pane.

the digi website is a bit confusing to me. Does anyone know exactly what I need to reinstal and where I get the "driver" or Mbox 2 control panel? I'm not looking to use pro tools as it's over kill for home VO recordings etc.

thanks in advace,

Herov
Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 AM

Default Re: MBox 2 On Mac pro tower no "system Pref control panel"?

You need to download and install the standalone CoreAudio driver which is available from the Digi site.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Question Re: MBox 2 On Mac pro tower no "system Pref control panel"?

Thanks Phil.

I actually installed the full 7.4 Pro tools LE since I was eligible to do so but have not run the program. I'd actually like to unistall the protools and then just install the core software you mention. I'm assuming that will be the slimmest way to use the Mbox 2 on my system without having to deal with Pro tools being involved.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks,

Herov
Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herov View Post
Thanks Phil.

I actually installed the full 7.4 Pro tools LE since I was eligible to do so but have not run the program. I'd actually like to unistall the protools and then just install the core software you mention. I'm assuming that will be the slimmest way to use the Mbox 2 on my system without having to deal with Pro tools being involved.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks,

Herov
That's correct.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Re: MBox 2 On intel Mac Pro Tower Running 10.6.2 Need help and or dirver?

Hey Phil,

You still out there?

Here's my question. I'm now on an intel Mac Pro Tower running 10.6.2

months ago I lost the ability to simply run my mic through my Mbox2. I don't use pro tools to advanced for me Just the mbox2 and a blue baby bottle mic.

What driver do I now need so that I can use the mbox2 and the blue mic together. I use sound studio, (no offense to protools just way less complicated for my home V.O. needs.)

Can anyone post a link to the driver or other plug-in I need so that I can get back up and running on the mbox2?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Avid

Default Re: MBox 2 On intel Mac Pro Tower Running 10.6.2 Need help and or dirver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herov View Post
Hey Phil,

You still out there?

Here's my question. I'm now on an intel Mac Pro Tower running 10.6.2

months ago I lost the ability to simply run my mic through my Mbox2. I don't use pro tools to advanced for me Just the mbox2 and a blue baby bottle mic.

What driver do I now need so that I can use the mbox2 and the blue mic together. I use sound studio, (no offense to protools just way less complicated for my home V.O. needs.)

Can anyone post a link to the driver or other plug-in I need so that I can get back up and running on the mbox2?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all!
Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no stand-alone core audio driver for Snow Leopard. The only way to get the driver is to have the full Pro Tools installer.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Wow. So that means to use the mbox2 I have to upgrade to protools 8?

and then I'm not going to use pro tools 8. So to keep from having problems I'll have to uninstall it?

I know this may seem unorthodox question to a "digi admin" but seriously maybe it's time for me to sell the Mbox2? I mean I dig it when it worked.
But it's been months and the last time I checked I heard the same thing. "no stand alone core audio driver yet".

Can you give me a release time frame? To keep upgrading to protools when I don't use it makes no sense, right? Maybe I should just find another hardware and spend the money that way. can you suggest one?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Or...

Is the audio core "installer" that's part of the PT 8 installer able to be separated and posted or linked to me, with of course no one going to jail for "piracy issues". I just want to get my Mbox2 up and running before it goes the ebay way.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Honestly, you probably should look to some other interface because you may be faced with this same dilema in the future. The Digi interfaces (Mbox 2's, Diggi003's etc.) are really designed primarily to be used for Protools and acts like a copy protection dongle as well as an audio interface.

The Core Audio Driver is just a courtesy utility to allow some other DAWs and even Apple's system audio applications to play through the interface's outputs.

Since you don't need to run Protools, there is little reason to use your Mbox 2. The sound of the Mbox is not bad, but neither is it great. You can get a decent interface from M-audio, Presonus, etc. that will do the job and will work with a larger number of applications. It really doesn't make sense for you to spen $150.00 to upgrade to Protools 8 (therefore 8.0.3) to get the Snow Leopard compatible version of the Core Audio Driver.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1