Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM

Default recommend backup software other than Retrospect?

I posted this over under storage subsystems and got no love there. So, I'm looking for a recommendation for something other than Retrospect.

Several months ago we had a support issue and Retrospect was really terrible. We purchased a new Mac Pro a few weeks ago, and I don't plan on using Retrospect going forward. Looking for a software recommendation for doing daily backups of our session projects drive in a pro commercial studio.
We are using a Pro Tools HD3 8.0.5 rig running on a Mac Pro OS 10.6.8.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Eric
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Re: recommend backup software other than Retrospect?

Tri-Backup and Carbon Copy Cloner have both worked perfectly for me.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Which will allow you to completely restore bit for bit (unlike time machine, I always have issues after a time machine restore).

Once suggesting a package, please also suggest the best settings/steps for that package. Thanks so much!

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 PM

I use Superduper. Every night I have it back up anything new from my audio drive to a backup drive, automatically and then shut down my computer. I've been doing it this way for almost four years and I've been very pleased with it.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 PM

What´s wrong with Time machine ?
It is just brilliant!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
What´s wrong with Time machine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboost View Post
Looking for a software recommendation for doing daily backups of our session projects drive in a pro commercial studio.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM

I used data tape backup solutions for many years, starting with Mezzo Media Archiver and Exabyte tape, followed by Retrospect and Sony AIT tape. I recently switched to a hard drive backup solution. Here's what I'm doing:

I am using Deja Vu backup software and a hard drive docking station. The software allows for incremental backups, so whenever a change is made to any file, the backup process does not delete any old files, but rather archives them in a special folder. This is useful for restoring a project to any desired point in time (similar to incremental data tape restorations). Also, the software does not use a proprietary formatting scheme (like Retrospect does with hard drives), but instead uses standard HFS+, so restoring files is as easy as dragging and dropping them. Because the software allows for incremental backups, I use a backup hard drive with slightly more data capacity than the source drive. For example, if my main drive is 1TB, I'll use a 1.5TB drive for backup. The dock allows for quick and easy exchange of backup drives for redundant storage or client backups.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 AM

I use carbon copy cloner and disk utility.

For system drives i use disk utility to make disk images at incremental stages of the install (fresh snow leopard, tweak snow leopard, fresh PT, PT and plugs). A floating drive is used to store these disk images. At any point i can restore the pro tools rig to any of my chosen clean install states in about 15 mins.

Additionally, each system drive has a backup. This can run carbon copy incremental backups, every night for example.

Then at any point if there is a physical problem with the drive, or if someone does something to screw up the OS with a demo plugin or something, you can restore to the exact state it was yesterday immediately, or a clean install state in about 15 mins.

There should be no audio or other critical data on the system drives. Everything should be on dedicated external drives for a session or a client. Every evening, or even a lunchtime as well, this should be cloned to a backup drive using carbon copy cloner incremental backup.

Additionally the floating drive containing system images, and the backup session drive, should be cloned again and kept off site. But i have never been able to do this due to lack of resources.

When you do an incremental backup with carbon copy cloner, you have the option of deleting or archiving files on the DESTINATION drive. If you do some work, then run a backup, then delete a file, then run incremental backup, you can choose to delete this file on the backup drive (so the two drives match) or you can choose to archive this file on the backup drive. Carbon copy cloner makes folders at the root of the drive with time and date info and puts deleted files there. So as long as you have drive space you can get back a file you deleted last week.

I use the archive option for session drives, and not for system drives. I want the system drive backup to be a clone. If someone puts a file on the desktop, then deletes it, then wants it back, it's their fault for not putting on the session drive.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:52 AM

I am using ChronoSync.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm using Tri-Backup (Tri-Edre) from so long NEVER a problem
I start a new song and create an Action program(mode mirrow) for each backup drivers(I use 2).
Start every time they's a rest, break so at the end of the day run the last time on each songs .... have a wine

I hate tape back-up