Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Not able to use spdif on 001

I'm having trouble recording or playing through the spdif on the PTLE 001.I'm using Windows XP with PT 6.4 and rec/play with a Tascam DA40 or panasonic SV3700.Could someone help me out with this as i'm lost and got no reply from Digidesign support.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Not able to use spdif on 001

We'd love to help you out, but we need to know exactly what the problem is, and what exactly it is that you are trying to do.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM

I'm trying to backup some stuff from Dat onto Pro tools.I've connected dat to my 001 interface by spdif but not getting a signal on my track.The main inputs/outputs work but not with the spdif.I've been through the setup a few times trying different settings..still nothing.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Hello. Some basic things to look for are making sure that your Pro Tools session is at whatever rate your DAT was recorded at. If the DAT is 48 Khz make sure your PT session is too. Check your Hardware window on the Pro Tools menu and make sure S/PDIF is there and active. It's been so long since I worked on a 001 that I don't specifically remember how it shows up on that configuration. Then make sure your Pro Tools track's input is routed correctly. Lastly make sure your DAT machine's connections are properly set up; also some DAT players can toggle out of digital and analog playback. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Yeah on the input grid spdif is there and on(active), like the other channels.How do i make a correct route for this? It seems like everything is right but if the dat toggles in and out, that could be the problem.Is there a way to keep it digital or analog?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Oddly enough, I too have had the same issue recently with no longer being able to record via SPDIF when I upgraded to 6.4 with my Digi001 system (I stay behind the upgrade curve).

I called up a previously recorded 5.3 session , where I had successfully recorded a track via SPDIF. PT6.4 now states that the I/O configuration has changed from the 5.3 session. This is what I then found:

Where 5.3 had Analog inputs 1/2 linked with SPDIF, 6.4 now has analog L/R pairs on inputs 1-8, optical (ADAT) L/R pairs on inputs 9-16, and SPDIF now on inputs 17-18. My original 5.3 session recorded via SPDIF on inputs 1/2.

Remembering that the Digi001 could only record digital on inputs 1 & 2, I moved the SPDIF inputs to 1&2, and moved the analog 1&2 to 17&18. Now only inputs 1&2 are assigned to SPDIF. No duplicate inputs.

The other odd issue I see in the hardware setup is that if I select ADAT as the optical format, my clock choices are internal, optical(ADAT), or SPDIF. If I select SPDIF as my format, my only clock choices are internal or optical(ADAT). That doesn't seem right to me. SPDIF format selection is set to "other", not "TASCAM".

It almost seems like 6.4 is only recognizing the PCI card optical inputs, and not the RCA inputs on the Digi001 rack, or somehow has them reversed with the wrong clock options. If I put SPDIF mirroring on, I'm able to *output* the track via SPDIF from ProTools and record to another digital recorder. When it comes to *recording* via SPDIF, it does not work. It worked in 5.3 with my same hardware setup, but not in 6.4.

I'm not immune to pilot error, but the longer I work with this, the less I'm inclined to believe it's me. Any insight would be appreciated. 6.4 works well otherwise, I've used DVToolkit and VocAlign with no problems,but I'd really like to be able to record via SPDIF again.

thanks, HPH