Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-10-2021, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to see how I quantized a midi region?

No man, I totally understand. But in my case it is much simpler because all my audio and midi usually comes from single take, with single sync point. So I can use tempo map or even Elastic Audio if I am desperate.

I get your point though. If you are just composing bit by bit I can probably get a big slap on the face from Avid by saying this but it would be hundred times easier with Ableton Live than PT.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No man, I totally understand. But in my case it is much simpler because all my audio and midi usually comes from single take, with single sync point. So I can use tempo map or even Elastic Audio if I am desperate.

I get your point though. If you are just composing bit by bit I can probably get a big slap on the face from Avid by saying this but it would be hundred times easier with Ableton Live than PT.
You don't get my point. I'm not talking about tempo mapping or elastic audio or sync points. Those have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm asking. It's like you poke onto every thread whether or not you can actually add something.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's like you poke onto every thread whether or not you can actually add something.
Okay I stop here.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'll give you an example. 'I create a midi drum loop. I tweak the groove using logic groove b, i play with the swing and strength until i get it how i like it and then I apply it. A month later, I want to tweak it a bit, or maybe see what I did. It doesn't really matter why. But i want to be able to click on the midi region and see exactly what parameters I applied to that region. I want it to tell me that I used logic groove b with x swing and y strength etc etc.'
There's no way to do that in Pro Tools AFAIK - would be nice though.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-10-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
thanks, but can i go back LATER and see what I did? Will it tell me, for example, what groove template i used, how much swing, note strength etc? That's what I"m looking for. I'm pretty stunned i can't do this.
After the fact? Not that I am aware of.
I mean... maybe. But I wouldn't be stunned. PT has long been about separating destructive (committing) processes from non-destructive processes (like the Real-Time Properties). Although they don't do a great job of educating newer users, when they introduced those features ages ago, they did expect that there were few enough users that we read the manual, or sought training.

I've only run into caring about the issue you're mentioning (and I do a LOT of MIDI) when I go to an old session and want to re-use part of it for a new track, and I've used some custom swing that I want to match or conform to. My solution in that case is to select a region from the old part, and use Beat Detective (in MIDI Operation Mode) to do a Groove Template Extraction, that I can save as a custom quantization preset. If you choose to do that, and haven't done it before, do look up some tutorials or the section in the manual.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 08-10-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
... It's like you poke onto every thread whether or not you can actually add something.
Be nice. Get ya further in life.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You don't get my point. I'm not talking about tempo mapping or elastic audio or sync points. Those have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm asking. It's like you poke onto every thread whether or not you can actually add something.
Two things, JFreak is not trying to poke onto random threads and just say things. He is a wealth of knowledge and has been very helpful in nearly all posts I have seen of his (I have been here since 2014 and have seen quite a few of his posts). To such a degree when I feel like I can add something helpful to a post, often JFreak has gotten there before I have and answered with the same thing I was going to post.

Second, I do believe JFreak answered your question appropriately, the only way I can think of to accomplish what you’d like to do would be to create a duplicate track to preserve the original data (or I guess you could put it in a playlist lane). But ProTools does not function with MIDI in the way Logic does, so what you describe is not the way ProTools work. I would be somewhat like asking why a MD421 isn’t working correctly when you are talking into the side of it (side address). It’s just not the way the microphone works. There are good reasons why people use Logic, DP, or Abelton for MIDI music creation they are better setup for MIDI creation, whereas ProTools is built more for Audio creation/manipulation.

To me is sounds like you should stay in Logic to do your MIDI and move to ProTools for your audio editing.

Last edited by falcowe; 08-10-2021 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Slight change in formatting.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:42 PM

Avid told you it can’t be done but you expected to come here so we could tell you they’re wrong? It can’t be done. You’ll need to use a workaround. Robruce’s workaround is probably as close as you’ll get. Alternatively you could use software like OBS to screen capture your edits and re-watch them later. Or write them down using time stamps.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Is there a way to see how I quantized a midi region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robruce View Post
PT does not automatically recall or list those types of edits even within an open session, short of Cmnd Z "undo". If you're opposed to a possible workaround then skip the one below.

Duplicate the original performance take, lock the original.

Name the new take/version "logic groove x" or "87% swing" etc. and simply store every new variation that way. You'll at least be able to get back to those different groove approaches and tweak on those if you name them clearly. hth

This is probably the best workaround.

I have often wished there was some form of undo queue along the lines of what Photoshop has that lists every action that was performed. This would help the OP in that they could see what was done and also allow my request of being able to just click at the point I want to undo to, as opposed to just clicking undo x amount of times until I get to the state I want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 08-11-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Avid told you it can’t be done but you expected to come here so we could tell you they’re wrong? It can’t be done. You’ll need to use a workaround. Robruce’s workaround is probably as close as you’ll get. Alternatively you could use software like OBS to screen capture your edits and re-watch them later. Or write them down using time stamps.
No genius. I posted my response from Avid AFTER I posted here, hence the use of 'edit'. But thanks for another productive post.