Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 AM

Default Transfuser Tutorials

Are there any more transfuser tutorials available? Digi hasn't updated any more tutorials on DIGITV.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Transfuser Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielou View Post
Are there any more transfuser tutorials available? Digi hasn't updated any more tutorials on DIGITV.
They are planned for the AIR User Blog and should be up in the next couple of weeks. Anything in particular?

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Hi Russ!

Great stuff on the AIR blog!

Thank you!

Anything that would speed up production when using transfuser. I always get stalled when looking for something to match what's in my imagination. By the time I drill down to the guitar samples, for example, what I find usually doesn't integrate well into my music. (Electronica, Hip Hop, etc..)

Perhaps some type of way to set up a useful production template that could give me a better starting point than building each little sound from scratch...

I bought an axiom 61 so I can use all the cool faders and pads. But I don't have time to assign parameters on each session while I'm having fun, er I mean composing. Is that what the new mapping stuff in PT is for?

So maybe less focus on drums and more on cool, usable sounds that can stand out as hooks.

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 AM

There is some useful tips and explanations here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1987407

However, the best way to understand and appreciate Transfuser is to get stuck in for hours!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi!

With all respect I already understand transfuser. The harmony central thread is like reading the manual until you get to the last post by Peter Gorges.. More stuff like that!

Rubicon

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM

From Harmony Central:

Here ya go, Mitch - I've asked my guys for a bunch of simple but useful tricks. Paul Kellett, our senior mastermind and the guy behind a lot of stuff in Transfuser, including the effects, goes ahead:

Insert a reverb effect before the Gater effect. This fills in any gaps in the audio so makes the gating effect stronger, and is especially good on an Audio Input track used as a send effect for your other tracks in Pro Tools

For a vintage drum-machine sound, insert the Lo-Fi effect, switch on Anti-Alias and adjust the Sample Rate to between 8 and 16 kHz. This will add a vintage "crunch" without the hard edge of normal bitcrusher/decimator effects.

Load a vocal sample into a Phrase track (or any sound that is both pitched and rhythmic), switch Tempo Sync OFF and adjust the speed knob to zero or a very low value. Now move the sample start marker while playing to find interesting textures within the sample. The different Mode settings will also play the sample with different textures.

Crossfade between drum sounds with velocity: In the Drums module, load samples into both "Sample A" and "Sample B". Then on the Amp tab set the Vel knob to 100% for one sample and -100% for the other. [check terminology matches user guide]

Add a sub-octave using the BeatCutter effect as a send. Turn down Repeat, Reorder, Gate and Freeze, but set Scratch to 100% and "Oct Down" Type.

Very Cool!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
They are planned for the AIR User Blog and should be up in the next couple of weeks. Anything in particular?
Nothing in particular, but I like tutorials better than spending hours ticking and clicking buttons and knobs. I will usually get really creative once I get the complete hang of things. There are a lot of components involved in transfuser.

One thing I would like to know:

1. Can you send each module to a individual track in PT8 and record all the changes without using a controller? I have a controller, but I prefer to tweak changes manually sometimes. I'm going to work on this today. I just got transfuser yesterday.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

Edited 2-1-2009

I was siked up to hear and see transfuser on digi tv the other day; I abandoned this style of making music for almost two years now until I browsed digidesign.com the other day; I got so excited that I ordered PTMP8, MPTK2 and Transfuser as well as downloaded the 14 day license to try while I wait for it to come. It's frustrating so far but looks promising.

I'd like tutorials for each individual component; not a little this and that and twisting and turning knobs. I'd like to be taken step by step like the M1 dvd's which are great! I have an MPD 32; do I have to right click each and every control and use the learn function to get it to work or are there any templates?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
I have no patience to get lost in the program; I've used three programs in the past to do the things transfuser does; 2 of three of them were acid and sound forge. I can't get around this user interface. I dissed ableton live because of this. When I chop up audio; i'm used to looking at a wav or aif file and making markers/splitting audio files and re-arranging them sort of like reel to reel tape splicing. I can't do anything magical yet.

If anyone has the time to listen to the mayhem I've created please go to www.myspace.com/davetheonemendez and listen to any song.

I was siked up to hear and see transfuser on digi tv the other day; I abandoned this style of making music for almost two years now until I browsed digidesign.com the other day; I got so excited that I ordered PTMP8, MPTK2 and Transfuser as well as downloaded the 14 day license to try while I wait for it to come. I hate it; it's frustrating.

I'd like tutorials for each individual component; not a little this and that and twisting and turning knobs. I'd like to be taken step by step like the M1 dvd's which are great! I have an MPD 32; do I have to right click each and every control and use the learn function to get it to work or are there any templates?

I can't believe I haven't found a way to re-arrange my user created rex files/slices.
This is easy in acid; I create a grid 16th note for some parts 16 (3/3T) for others 64th note and beyond; import entire songs; beatmatch; then start splitting up the audio parts and rearranging slices using the s key to split, control copy, drag to re-arrange my audio and rebuild/create a break. Transfuser looked so much easier and it's frustrating me like Ableton live did; I really want to get this..........I'm going to re-watch all tutorials and keep on this; again an M1 style step by step would be greatly appreciated.
NAMM is now upon us, but once this is over we'll take your comments on board in future video releases on the AIR Blog. Thanks for the comments.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Thanks.....

Hopefully by the time namm is over I'll have a handle on transfuser.