Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 AM

Default Crash when Closing Pro Tools 8.0.1 (every time)

I was wondering if anyone else has issues with pro tools 8.0.1 Freezing the mac when they actually quit pro tools for the day or when quitting pt to eject a hard drive etc.
When I quit pro tools it basically freezes up my mac and I have to restart. This happens literally every single time. I had 8.0 running very smooth and then with 8.0.1 this started. Any Ideas?
I have read the other thread where people state that PT crashes going from song to song. I do not have that problem at all. I sometimes have that Not enough DSP from opening the same song but that is another subject.
Anyway I am more curious about the first issue. If anyone else has this issue or a fix let me know. I hate having to restart the Mac every time I want to eject a drive or just simply quit Pro tools.
Thanx and sorry if this has been covered I just simply couldn't find it
Old 10-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Crash when Closing Pro Tools 8.0.1 (every time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has issues with pro tools 8.0.1 Freezing the mac when they actually quit pro tools for the day or when quitting pt to eject a hard drive etc.
When I quit pro tools it basically freezes up my mac and I have to restart. This happens literally every single time. I had 8.0 running very smooth and then with 8.0.1 this started. Any Ideas?
I have read the other thread where people state that PT crashes going from song to song. I do not have that problem at all. I sometimes have that Not enough DSP from opening the same song but that is another subject.
Anyway I am more curious about the first issue. If anyone else has this issue or a fix let me know. I hate having to restart the Mac every time I want to eject a drive or just simply quit Pro tools.
Thanx and sorry if this has been covered I just simply couldn't find it
Hi,

There's no need to quit PT to eject a CD or unmount a Drive!! just go into the workspace browser and "right click" on the CD or drive in the list and select unmount.

When PT quits do you get a crash log? this will usually indicate the possible cause.

Common cause is an out of date or incompatible plugin, have you checked all plugs are up to date and compatible?

Trashed prefs? and delete data base files? this might fix it! try using this app.....

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=190122

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 AM

Hey man - I went through the exact same thing and it turned out to be a plug in (s). Start by removing all VI's, make sure you are up to date on the rest and go from there. I'm on 8.01 and rock solid since going through this process.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanx for the info guys, Yeah I have tried the trash pref things as well as data base files.
Looks like I just need to go through the plugs, which sucks.
DT which plug was it for you that was causing the issues.
Like I said everything was great on 8.0 and the 8.0.1 update started the crash.
I checked all compatability when moving to 8 and i was up to date, just the 8.0.1 once again caused this.
Ok thanx again for all the helpful info.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
Thanx for the info guys, Yeah I have tried the trash pref things as well as data base files.
Looks like I just need to go through the plugs, which sucks.
DT which plug was it for you that was causing the issues.
Like I said everything was great on 8.0 and the 8.0.1 update started the crash.
I checked all compatability when moving to 8 and i was up to date, just the 8.0.1 once again caused this.
Ok thanx again for all the helpful info.
Make sure you empty trash after using the pref/database app. ff
Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 AM

I had this EXACT same problem.
My Solution
1) CLEAN De-install (Remove everything)
2) Fresh Install 8.0 ( Don't do any CS update)
3) Install 8.0.1 update
3) Find the offending plug-ins not 8.0.1 compatible ( This is the hardest part )

I have lots of plug-ins and am using an expanded system in A Magma PE6R4
8.0.1 has been super stable for me. I get maybe 3-4 crashes per week
mostly due to me going too fast on the Icon and Keyboard at the same time or due to plug-in caching and trying to open several sessions in a row too fast or with plug-in cache turned on
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 AM

In the end for me it was the Lexicon PCM 96 plugs that weren't up to date.
I also removed Mach Five 2 and Amp Farm.

Elastik/Stylus/Omnisphere/Steinway all seem to be fine.

The system went from a nightmare to rock solid just by doing this.

Also, this week I upgraded my G5 to an 8 core Intel/Magma and several other minor issues seem to have disappeared, the biggest of which being the horizontal scrolling problem.

Good luck.
dt
Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 AM

dt-

I'd bet that the video RAM on the MacPro is better then the old G5 - Leopard seems to do everything smoother on the MacPro. We still have the scrolling problems in 8.0.1 - not a video card issue - just a code thing with Cocoa (so DTS claims). If we're talking about the same scrolling issue.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanx for all the help guys. I am back in the studio tomorrow and I will do all the things you guys mentioned. I know for a fact I still have an amp farm in the plug ins folder for sure. I will try that first. Then on to the million other ones haha.
Thanx again
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM

Looks like I found the 8.0.1 Crash Support Group. I'm glad to know it exists.

I started getting these crashes recently. Not EVERY session crashes, but about half do.

It seems like this all started when I upgraded PCM96 and Duende software, which I did at about the same time. Omnisphere was also updated recently. I'm going to start removing plugins to see if I can find a culprit. I HATE having to do this. It's a loooong and boring process, unless you find it right away, which rarely happens.

If anyone finds further specific causes for this crash, please post with the solution.