Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Korg D16 as control surface

Hey! I plan to purchase Pro Tools LE or M powered soon. First I am buying either an iMac or a Mac Pro computer. I have a Korg D16 hard disk recorder and I am quite fond of its control surface. My question is this: can I use the D16 as a control surface for Pro Tools?Thanks!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Korg D16 as control surface

The most direct answer would be no.
However since you don't already own PT your best bet would be to get the 003 Console and have the best controller for PT LE.
The C24 and Control24 are better but rarely will someone just starting out be looking to spend that type of money.

If the 003 is more than you want to pay a used 002 on LE or a ProjectMix on mPowered is a pretty cheap route.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Forum Member LE. I do like the ProjectMix- it is affordable and seems to have decent pre's. I have to ask,though- what is the practical difference between LE and M-powered? I know LE is for Digidesign hardware, and M-powered is for M-audio hardware, but is there a functional difference between them? ie, can a project done in PT M-powered be opened and edited in LE, and vice versa? Also, since I have limited workspace, and the Korg D16 sits in the sweet spot, I would really prefer it if I could use the D16's control surface(it has 17 100mm faders,a touch screen, scads of buttons & knobs,etc.)- what about PT's remote control option? I've read a little about that, but wonder if it would utilize the full travel of the faders, once I specified the remote to respond to them? Thanks given to you, or whomever else can shed some light on this issue I'm having.
Also, I've read in other forums that the preamps in the 003 are somewhat lacking, and that the ProjectMix has far superior preamps, as well as having 9 motorized faders instead of 8, like the 003. I think I would like a dedicated master fader. I realize though, that ergonomics and functionality of the hardware is very important, and that it's possible that nothing will work as well as Digidesign hardware, but I don't know. That's why these forums are so cool- a person can find things out, and from other users! So, again, thanks for your considered opinions.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Forum Member LE. I do like the ProjectMix- it is affordable and seems to have decent pre's. I have to ask,though- what is the practical difference between LE and M-powered? I know LE is for Digidesign hardware, and M-powered is for M-audio hardware, but is there a functional difference between them? ie, can a project done in PT M-powered be opened and edited in LE, and vice versa? Also, since I have limited workspace, and the Korg D16 sits in the sweet spot, I would really prefer it if I could use the D16's control surface(it has 17 100mm faders,a touch screen, scads of buttons & knobs,etc.)- what about PT's remote control option? I've read a little about that, but wonder if it would utilize the full travel of the faders, once I specified the remote to respond to them? Thanks given to you, or whomever else can shed some light on this issue I'm having.
Also, I've read in other forums that the preamps in the 003 are somewhat lacking, and that the ProjectMix has far superior preamps, as well as having 9 motorized faders instead of 8, like the 003. I think I would like a dedicated master fader. I realize though, that ergonomics and functionality of the hardware is very important, and that it's possible that nothing will work as well as Digidesign hardware, but I don't know. That's why these forums are so cool- a person can find things out, and from other users! So, again, thanks for your considered opinions.
-mPowered can't use the DV Toolkit.
-Sessions between the two are interchangeable.
-Pres' and converters on ProjectMix are not as good as on the oo3.
-PT doesn't use a master fader, it groups or banks 8 faders at a time the master is inactive on PT.
-No reason to keep the D16 if you go with PT.
-Project Mix emulates a HUI when used with PT but the the 003 is built specifically for PT so it's deeply integrated on a level that other controllers simply can't achieve.
PT remote modes are now for controlling other DAW's, they no longer have the ability to be controller via MIDI, those profiles don't exist anymore.

Hope that helps
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 PM

I see. Well, do you happen to know how the pre's and converters on the lesser boxes like the Mbox compare to the M-audio Firewire 410?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 AM

I have minimal experience with the mBox line but here's the basic thought pattern for looking at mPowered vs LE.
Unless you are using an additional DAW, plan to add one or already have some mAudio hardware it's simpler to go with LE.
Currently the 003 Console is a very good path it sounds better than previous options and gives the best control surface avialable for LE without going for the C24/Control24.
Many of the things added to the 003 makes it better than the C8 for overall integration, but the C8 still has the value of being able to be used with various interfaces.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the answers, it really helps when debating about quality vs price. It seems that the 003 would be the best way to go, but upon reflection, I see that I'm going to have to keep it under $1,000 for this initial Pro Tools purchase. I like M-audio's FastTrack Ultra interface- it's USB 2.0, and has 4 Octane mic pre-amps, but I have discovered another significant difference between LE and M-powered: M-powered 7.4 does not include the Ignition Pack plug-in bundle you get with LE, and for me, the Reason Adapted plug-in alone is very desirable. So, now I'm seeing all kinds of disadvantages to M-powered- I just wish that Digidesign had better interface/features under $1,000. I am probably at this point going to get an M-box 2 Pro with LE 7.4. Another question, though- when it's time to move up to a better interface(with better pre's) can I buy just an interface, or will I have to buy the software, too? Digidesign doesn't seem to sell just interfaces, you know? Like if I get an Octane or comparable mic pre, shouldn't I also have better quality at the interface, especially the converters? Thanks for your input!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:

PT remote modes are now for controlling other DAW's, they no longer have the ability to be controller via MIDI, those profiles don't exist anymore.

Hope that helps
Really? When I was using a control surface (I currently do not have the space for one), I had a Tascam TM-D4000 connected to Pro-Tools (version 7.0) via MIDI. If the knobs and faders on your Korg transmit MIDI messages, I think you can map it into Pro-Tools using a "learn" function of sorts (in fact I'm sure you can...however it's after 1 in the morning and I'm not looking that up right now).

If you do decide to go with another control surface, you might want to look around and see if you can find an original Mackie HUi (not the Baby HUi). For the most part, they are as good as or better than most control surfaces that are commercially available today - even though they have not been made in years.

Just my 2112 cents,

The Kid
Old 06-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps
Really? When I was using a control surface (I currently do not have the space for one), I had a Tascam TM-D4000 connected to Pro-Tools (version 7.0) via MIDI. If the knobs and faders on your Korg transmit MIDI messages, I think you can map it into Pro-Tools using a "learn" function of sorts (in fact I'm sure you can...however it's after 1 in the morning and I'm not looking that up right now).

Just my 2112 cents,

The Kid
I thought it was strange that ProTools no longer could be used that way,too-maybe that is a change in PT LE 7.4. I'll just try it with my Korg and see. I am impressed with what I read about Mackie control surfaces-why do you say an original Mackie HUI and not the Baby HUI?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Definitely see if you can map the Korg into Pro-Tools. If it helps, see if it has MIDI control surface "profiles". My Tascam has the ability to emulate some popular control surfaces, including a JL Cooper CS-10. I was able to set it to emulate that, and since the CS-10 is one of the control surfaces that Pro-Tools recognizes, it synched up seamlessly.

Regarding HUi vs. Baby HUi. the Baby HUi is not as tightly integrated into Pro-Tools. For example, things like a zoom button or plug-in control are absent from Baby HUi, while they are on the HUi. Also, Baby HUi does not have a monitoring section whereas the HUi does. There are quite a few other amenities that HUi has that makes controlling Pro Tools very easy that Baby HUi does not have.

If anyone out there can confirm where the control surface folder is located, that would be great!

The Kid