Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 02:21 AM

Default MADI Interface for Pro Tools

For those times when you need to interface with a DFC Film console or a DM 2000 digitally with sample rates past 48k or for 64 inputs.

MADI Interface for Pro Tools HD

I have wished for a better digital interface between desks and Pro Tools for some time. I have used the Euphonics with the older Mix system and it was great.

Regards
Simon L.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: MADI Interface for Pro Tools

Very cool, perhaps we'll see one from Digi now. Slightly a shame it's only optical i/o. Always have found it funny having 4x192 digitals going into RME Adata/MADI boxes then into Logic2s/DFCs.

Pete
Old 04-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Nice. I was just thinking about this the other day, looking at 48 sloppy XLRs hanging out the back of my rack on the stage floor.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Nice! Very very good price as well. Will have to demo one come availabilty.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 PM

I just chatted with the guys from SYDEC yesterday.. Nice guys. They put alot fo thought into their interfaces... I'm looking into purchasing a couple for my console. Aparently they are taking to Digi so we'll see what happens, as they did the engineering on their own..
1. Digi will plant a "bug" in the system that will cause these interfaces to not work in future releases of Protools.
2. Digi will sue them and force the price of the MADI IO to sky-rocket to cover the licensing fee that will ensue (pun intended) (as per the Euphonix FC727 for Mix systems)
3. Digi will embrace a MADI IO option and either provide one or "bless" this one.

Any guesses?

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
" I just chatted with the guys from SYDEC yesterday.. Nice guys. They put alot fo thought into their interfaces... I'm looking into purchasing a couple for my console. Aparently they are taking to Digi so we'll see what happens, as they did the engineering on their own.. "
1, 2, or 3 ??

Any guesses?

cheers
geo
This is EXACTLY what the large format A-List flagship post facilities have been asking for.

It doesn't even matter what it costs !! Digi could have built this with 500% markup and their devoted post pro followers would have paid the freight !!!
They STILL don't get it !!

When you put together a 64 track all-digital ProTools you have LOTS of wires, boxes, power consumption and a much higher incidence of intermittent connectivity.

When you put together a 64 channel MADI DAW you have 2 wires...either 2 coax video cables or 2 fiber optic cables..... That's it! A 128 I/O DAW is 4 wires and on and on .....
This is an elegant solution, one that Harrison, AMS, SSL, Euphonix, Stagetec etc...... The "real" console companies have been using for years.

What will Digi do? 1,2, or 3?
I don't know . Ask them.

What should they do?
IMHO...Build their own killer MADI box for use in upscale post and scoring.
There are some very cool and innovative (read new) things they could do with a product like this!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:21 PM

This really looks like it could work!