Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-28-2023, 10:48 PM

Default Deativate before computer rebuild?

I am thinking about reinstalling a fresh windows without all the clutter. Do I need to deactivate my Pro Tools license before doing the refresh (so it doesn't go into limbo) or will I be okay to install it again after the machine is back up and running?
Old 01-29-2023, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Deativate before computer rebuild?

Just make sure it is on your iLok, or back in your iLok account.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-29-2023, 08:01 AM

This might not be quite as simple as mattrix suggested, depending on which exact version you are using. Yes, if it uses iLok and the license is on the iLok, then you have no worries. If the license is left in the cloud, that is probably also fine, but for myself, I will not use cloud iLok except in an emergency. The last one is Pro Tools Intro, which is authorized on the computer. That version MIGHT need to be deactivated(hopefully a moderator can comment), but that version includes several authorizations(I think its 5)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-29-2023, 09:14 AM

Yes, I am in fact using PT Intro right now.

It is "activated" to the name of the PC. I was hoping that when I refresh, if I name the PC the same thing, it will work. What I don't know is if the activation put some kind of file in the drive that will get wiped when I refresh.

I suppose deactivating it would be the safest plan.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:24 AM

I found this on the iLok website. This would lead me to believe the deactivating before refreshing the computer would be the prudent move.

Host Computer

Your software might allow activation to your local host computer. This works the same as activation to an iLok USB, but without requiring you to purchase and carry an iLok USB.

Remember, once you activate a license, the license is in that location, not in your account. This means if you lose access to a host computer due to a hardware change, or a lost, broken, or stolen computer, you would lose access to any activations that were on the host computer, just as if you lost your iLok USB. You should be very careful to deactivate licenses from your host computer back to your account before making major hardware changes or selling your computer, so that you do not lose access to your licenses.

If you do lose access to a host computer activation, you can use iLok License Manager to report the computer as unusable and request that the software publisher(s) send the licenses back to your account. Reporting a computer as unusable is permanent and irreversible.