Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 08:35 PM

Default ILOK not opening pro tools 2022.12 on mac

Hi

Any one here know whats a work around?

ILOK not opening pro tools 2022.12 on mac intel.

I have reinstalled iLOK twice and reinstalled pro tools twice. My ilok will open and show me all licenses including avid pro tools. Then ilok will show me when launching pro tools locations and has my ilok numbers there but wont let m click on ilok to launch. Beyond frustrating and costing me a nights work. Now i see why so many people do NOT like Ilok and wont buy products that use Ilok.

Just another company looking for a way to bleed us all dry. While they line their pockets. Imho...
Old 02-05-2023, 08:52 PM

Default Re: ILOK not opening pro tools 2022.12 on mac

I have been using ilok since 2006 and have over 300 assets across 4 iloks and have never had a problem. Beside ilok cloud which I hate and never use. You have transferred the PT license onto your ilok in the ilok manager app? I am using PT 2022.12 on a 2020 MBP with ilok, of course, the hardware dongle, not using ilok cloud and have no issues. Tell us more about your system.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-05-2023, 08:57 PM

Hi

Me too this is a first.

It all started I launched pro tools and a softube new plugin I forgot to open ilok and assign this plugin to ilok. I carried on and assigned softube and closed pro tools. Now I open pro tools and now this.

I just re installed pro tools 2022.12 for a third time still ilok won't let pro tools open.

Yes me too I hate cloud will NOT use cloud.

I have them all on a dongle. Also have ilok assigned to computer and this is useless too.

macOS Monterey 12.6.2

mac pro 2019
3.2 Ghz 16 core Intel
384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
SSD
Radeon Pro Vega II 32 gB
Old 02-05-2023, 09:25 PM

very odd, maybe try removing the softube plug in, trash preferences and restart.

https://petegates.com/pgptprefs.html

use the above to trash your prefs

Old 02-05-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
very odd, maybe try removing the softube plug in, trash preferences and restart.

https://petegates.com/pgptprefs.html

use the above to trash your prefs

Thank you I will try this.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:06 PM

Please stop reinstalling stuff, the thing that is most likely to work reinstalling the latest version of ILM. You don't need to keep reinstalling stuff if it does not help the first time.

As S.D. Finley already mentioned... always start troubleshooting by trashing prefs. Other standard troubleshooting steps include moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder (then trash prefs again) and testing from a newly created admin account... all good things to have already tried.

Useful details missing here:

What exactly does ILM shows for the details of the Pro Tools license on the iLok? Maybe post screenshots.
What is the Release Limit date for the Bundle? (if perpetual)
What exact version of Pro Tools 2020.12 Intro? Artist? Studio? Ultimate?
Are we talking a perpetual license of a subscription? And is what is showing exactly what is expected for that? And

Not sure I'm following what you mean by "iLok assigned to computer". The only Pro Tools license you can activate to a computer is the one for Pro Tools Intro. But if You can't get Pro Tools to launch at all try installing an Intro license on the Mac.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-05-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Please stop reinstalling stuff, the thing that is most likely to work reinstalling the latest version of ILM. You don't need to keep reinstalling stuff if it does not help the first time.

As S.D. Finley already mentioned... always start troubleshooting by trashing prefs. Other standard troubleshooting steps include moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder (then trash prefs again) and testing from a newly created admin account... all good things to have already tried.

Useful details missing here:

What exactly does ILM shows for the details of the Pro Tools license on the iLok? Maybe post screenshots.
What is the Release Limit date for the Bundle? (if perpetual)
What exact version of Pro Tools 2020.12 Intro? Artist? Studio? Ultimate?
Are we talking a perpetual license of a subscription? And is what is showing exactly what is expected for that? And

Not sure I'm following what you mean by "iLok assigned to computer". The only Pro Tools license you can activate to a computer is the one for Pro Tools Intro. But if You can't get Pro Tools to launch at all try installing an Intro license on the Mac.

I'm good for one more year.

Pro Tools studio

subscription

meaning ONE can also assign aka CHOOSE another location to put your PAID for license on via dongle, cloud or ONE'S computer. You don't know this? How long have you been a pro tools member n NOT to know this?

I did TRASH PREFS I been using pro tools since 2007 I know all about PREFS...

And NO I will NOT move AAX plugins from one folder to the next been there and done that for thinking one is playing it safe having your aax plugins saved so one doesn't have to reinstall all you hundreds of plugins and opened a whole different can of worms. Im not gonna waste time explaining. If you want to move plugins folder to folder go for it.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:49 PM

Sorry I thought you are the person here having problems and supposedly asking for help. We cannot guess what you have done or exactly what you are looking at if you can't use your grown up words to describe what you have done. And moving .aaxplugin out of the plugin folder is a very valid test here, and moving them back will not cause you to lose anything if you do it properly.

But being a know it all I don't know why you are wasting your precious time asking other users here for help. Off to Avid support you need to go.

And Pro Tools Studio does *not* support computer based iLok licensing, as I already explained. So I'm not sure why you are still talking about it as if it can. Seemingly one of many thing you don't know or are confused about.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sorry I thought you are the person here having problems and supposedly asking for help. We cannot guess what you have done or exactly what you are looking at if you can't use your grown up words to describe what you have done. And moving .aaxplugin out of the plugin folder is a very valid test here, and moving them back will not cause you to lose anything if you do it properly.

But being a know it all I don't know why you are wasting your precious time asking other users here for help. Off to Avid support you need to go.

And Pro Tools Studio does *not* support computer based iLok licensing, as I already explained. So I'm not sure why you are still talking about it as if it can. Seemingly one of many thing you don't know or are confused about.

Darrell don’t gaslight me I don’t need your insults. I was very clear on my problems you clearly talk down to people I don’t need your help I don’t need your judgment who are you anyway to gaslight people.

As you can clearly see my conversations before you decided to jump in with your gaslighting was very cordial what you were offended because you don’t understand that you can assign your plug-in with inside your ILOK to your computer besides your dongle or the cloud and if ProTools doesn’t allow you to assign your license to your computer, I don’t care anyway
because I use my dongle take it up with ProTools and ILOK for the fact that they give you the choice regardless if it doesn’t work it’s not my problem anyway that’s what you’re upset about grow up. I never said I was a know it all you’re a gas lighter. And you clearly think you know it all good luck with that and other areas of your life. ��
On that note, please leave me alone. Thank you have a good day.

Last edited by nightowls; 02-06-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:29 AM

If you are indeed attempting to use the machine based auth of ilok on PT, PT does not support that for Studio and Ultimate or whatever Avid calls it now. Only the intro version of PT does machine auths. A few other software developers also do not support machine based auths. Empircal Labs for example does not support it. IF that is what you are attempting it will not work. You are going to have to put your PT Studio auth on the ilok itself. If ilok is showing you an option for PT Studio auth to be put on your machine it must be an ilok bug. Maybe Avid is finally going to allow machine based auths in the future but it just isn't fully implemented at this time. Who knows, well I guess AVID knows. Maybe AVID could chime in here