Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-02-2001, 12:36 AM

Default Re: praying for 6 slot at Mac expo

Dont go NT! I have used it for PT and it is awful. Where I currently work I have a mac for PT and a NT for everything else, like internet, email, printing out scripts etc. I cannot stand the thing and it never does what I want. It is the most uncomfortable, difficult un-intutive platform I have ever used. This coming from someone who runs linux on there powerbook! I tease the sysadmin and tell him my the toy is broken whenever something is wrong with it. I am now on his hit list!

v
Old 01-02-2001, 03:19 AM

Hmmm...

Sounds like this thread has gone a little "off topic"

Anyway, along the lines of the original post:
I would definitely like to see a current generation machine in a six-slot configuration.
While a three-slot machine may work fine for a stand-alone user like produceher, it just doesn't cut it in a networked environment where each workstation is also running two monitors.
Mix Plus, SCSI card, 2nd vid card, NIC...
no can do with a three slot machine! And I don't buy the standard response of "well then, buy an expansion chassis". With 12 systems to deal with, that answer is just not cost effective; the cost of the chassis is more than the cost of the SCSI, video, and network cards combined.

<rant>
Personally, I'm not holding out much hope. Apple is well aware of our complaints, but we don't appear to be a large enough slice of their market to make a difference. Seems kind of strange, though, considering that Apple has always put a lot of emphasis on the fact that they are the preferred platform for all things creative. Do we not rate as creative anymore?!
</rant>
Old 01-02-2001, 05:39 AM

Karen wrote: I have a 9600/350 with a Newer G3 500/250 card installed. Mix plus (2 pci slots) adaptek UW SCSI (one slot) Miro DC 30 plus
(one slot) and an ixmicro dual monitor card (one slot). That's 5 slots with one extra to spare! My system is working pretty smoothe
with OS 8.6 and Pro Tools 5.01

Now let's see...hmmmmm..what could I put in that 6th slot....perhaps some more DSP? Any suggestions?
<end quote>

Yes, more DSP! We mix entirely within PT, so mix+ PLUS an additional mixfarm is quite helpful. Also, we use samplecell (3 of those).

Biege G3 pci: magma bridge card, adaptec, dc30
Magma 13slot: mix, farm, farm, sc,sc,sc, video card1, video card2.

Ouch! The expansion chasis is a seemless and well-behaved participant in this interesting third-party dance.

Old 01-02-2001, 09:13 AM

"And I don't buy the standard response of "well then, buy an expansion chassis". With 12 systems to deal with, that answer is just not cost effective; the cost of the chassis is more than the cost of the SCSI, video, and network cards combined."

I don't see why people complain so much about the chassis - why is a $2000 mac plus a $1500 chassis worse than a $4500 six slot mac?

If apple WERE to ship a 6 slot machine, there would be very little demand for it, so it would likely cost more than a 3 slot plus a chassis.

Give it up, it's never going to happen.

Mike
Old 01-02-2001, 10:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mike connelly:
"And I don't buy the standard response of "well then, buy an expansion chassis". With 12 systems to deal with, that answer is just not cost effective; the cost of the chassis is more than the cost of the SCSI, video, and network cards combined."

I don't see why people complain so much about the chassis - why is a $2000 mac plus a $1500 chassis worse than a $4500 six slot mac?

If apple WERE to ship a 6 slot machine, there would be very little demand for it, so it would likely cost more than a 3 slot plus a chassis.

Give it up, it's never going to happen.

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not think that *ALL* macs have 6 slots as standard???

Old 01-02-2001, 11:56 AM

Steve Jobs said that Apple would be moving to more PCI slots in his quarterly report.

Digital video is the future for Apple, Final Cut Pro is the ticket. More PCI slots is needed for many of these DV systems.
Old 01-02-2001, 01:05 PM

"Why not think that *ALL* macs have 6 slots as standard???"

Because then apple would have to raise prices on *ALL* macs. One of the main reasons apple has been able to keep down costs (and increase market share) is the fact that they've cut down the number of PCI slots.

Does it honestly make sense for apple to add a feature that will increase the cost of every workstation hundreds of dollars, but that a tiny percentage of users would actually use? Probably less than 1% of users need more than 3 slots, and that problem can be solved with a chassis.

Even with digital video, the vast majority of users won't need more than 3 slots - in fact, many will use firewire and not use any slots at all (digi: hint)!

If anything makes sense for apple to do to address this, it's for them to ship their own expansion chassis.

Mike

(Gulliver, do you have a URL for that part of the quarterly report? I haven't been able to find it online)

[This message has been edited by mike connelly (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 01:10 PM

Karen,

I contemplated adding a Mix Farm to my Mix+ system (9600/350) for some time, but I really didn't want to spend that much. I wound up adding a used DSP Farm. I was shocked at how much the DSP Farm expanded my system. I was surprized at how many of the DSP hungry plugins (that take a whole chip) work on the DSP Farm (SoundBlender, Amp Farm, Sansamp PSA-1, most reverbs). For my purposes, this frees up enough of the chips on my mix cards to get me all the DSP I need. Well worth the $800 it cost me.

Tom
Old 01-02-2001, 01:15 PM

Skeezer,
Cuz you can't "Save Slot As".

[This message has been edited by Ang1970 (edited January 02, 2001).]

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 01-02-2001, 02:52 PM

Sorry, can't find the URL for the Apple quarterly report. It also talked about the mistake of going with DVD instead of CD-RW, and moving the airport option to a PCI slot.