Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-25-2015, 07:53 AM

Default Inserting Hardware via i/o plugin

I am on Protools 12.4. A Macbook Pro with OS 10.10. My interface is a UAD Apollo Twin Duo which has two stereo out and one stereo in. 1/2 out for monitors and 3/4 out for headphone/output etc. I am inserting the i/o plugin on my master bus to use my API 2500 as a plugin. I am only getting feed back this way. Everything plays through the API when I send it via output 3/4 on every track including the master bus. I observed that the i/o plugin in Protools is not like the one in Logic Pro which is straight forward. Select 3/4 out and 1/2 in and that's it for Logic Pro. Am I doing something wrong? I want to do more mixing via the API in Protools which has some features that i like.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Inserting Hardware via i/o plugin

Hardware inserts need to use the same I/o so you will need an In 3/4 and an Out 3/4 to set it up. You can't have the 2500 going into an In 1/2 and an out 3/4

You'll need an interface with more I/o to use hardware inserts
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 12-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Pro Tools inserts are as straight forward as it gets, just like on a real desk
Insert Send I/O = Insert Return I/O

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-25-2015, 10:26 AM

if it lets you use 1/2 out - hardware - 1/2 in ... and use 3/4 for monitoring .. otherwise you just do not have enough I/o to do this

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Oh yes. Good idea John. 1/2 in/out. I am going to try that. I will give a feed back later.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:09 AM

The reason I/O being used for Inserts needs to be "stacked" is so PT can do the delay compensation properly. But in this instance, since it's final buss processing, you can simply route the audio out any output and return it to any input for realtime "capture" to a new track.

This will only work of course if the hardware is last in the chain.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:09 AM

It's no go. 1/2 in/out not working. Thanks. I guess I would have to use my Presonus Project Studio or my saffire pro dsp 24.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abre View Post
It's no go. 1/2 in/out not working. Thanks. I guess I would have to use my Presonus Project Studio or my saffire pro dsp 24.
Hey there,

Hope it's not too late to resolve this. I ran into a similar issue when attempting to insert my Hardware into Pro Tools from my Apollo Twin. I resolved it by simply routing everything accordingly within Universal Audio's Console (UAC) App. If I am not mistaken, UAC allows you to create "duplicate" inputs. Meaning, I can have one of my Apollo Twin's physical inputs routed to multiple inputs within the Console's Digital Input Matrix (You can find this Matrix within UAC under Settings --> Core Audio). Same applies for the output matrix. Here's an example of a Mono signal being processed:

I start by sending my Twin's Line 3 out of Channel 3 on UAC's Output Matrix.

The return (my twin's Channel 2 input) is going into Channel 3 on UAC's Input Matrix.

This should allow you to use the Insert (Insert 3 -- Inserts 1 and 2 will be used by your main outputs and therefore will not be available for use. My guess is Avid implemented this to prevent the dreaded feedback loop from gracing us with it's presence) within Pro Tools appropriately (allowing you to monitor the newly processed signal while your entire mix is playing back out of the Twin's physical outputs: 1&2--assuming this is where your Main Output is pushing sound out of).

Let me know if this helps. I confused myself just typing this whole thing out.

Cheers!

-C

PS: I have attached images showing everything I mentioned above. Just make sure the settings in your PT IO Setup are the same within UAC's Core Audio (IO Matrix).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Console SS.pdf (175.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Settings - Core Audio SS.pdf (110.5 KB, 0 views)