Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-08-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Pro Tools + Spaces (macOS Mission Control)

When using the Spaces feature in macOS (swiping between multiple desktops on a single monitor), Pro Tools intrusively adds its windows to any space I swipe to.

Does anyone else notice this behavior, and does anyone know a way to stop this from happening?
Old 11-08-2021, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools + Spaces (macOS Mission Control)

I've been using PT with mac spaces for years, and first thing we can agree on is, PT has not a very good integration with spaces. First most obvious thing; PT never remembers windows/spaces. At least with more than one monitor and 'displays have their own spaces' enabled.

First thing to try is right-click on PT icon in Dock and choose options, assign to. If you don't get all the options, create a new space on that monitor, and all options should show up. Bit of a macos bug there… I find I get best results with 'None'. Keeps plugin windows from popping up on desktop and such.

I've learned to live with it, I use different display configurations for different PT sessions anyway, so I'm used to hitting F3 (Mission control) and dragging edit and mix windows to where I need them at any time. Modern macOS displays handling is pretty good in itself, so dragging a whole-screen space from one resolution to another is quite seamless for example.

Try: Dock: Options: Assign to: None.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:33 PM

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly. I had no idea there was a context menu for that, and sure enough, Pro Tools had been set to "All Desktops".

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:36 PM

Shure. No problem.
Thanks for reporting back.