Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Student Discount on Pro Tools 10

Hello (and sorry if this is a dumb question), I'm an Audio Arts & Acoustics major at Columbia College Chicago and after much debate and consideration I decided to settle on Pro Tools as my DAW. I looked for student discounts and discovered Studica, which has a discount of pretty much 50%. That seems too good to be true, and my roommates seem to think there's a catch. So here's where my question comes into play:

Am I paying for the full version of Pro Tools 10 (just with a student discount), or am I paying for a student edition of Pro Tools 10?

A specific link is here: http://www.studica.com/us/en/Avid/av...-tools-10.html

Also, if someone is willing to help, should I buy 9 and take the free upgrade or just buy 10?

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Student Discount on Pro Tools 10

Columbia grad here. It's exactly the same software. I bought 9 and just got 10 as part of the "4 years of free upgrades". Couldn't be happier.

I would just go for 10 though keep in mind you need to save sessions in the older format ".ptf" to work with 9 that may be in school labs.

Cheers.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM

It is exactly the same software, but you need to buy the Student version in order to get 4-year free upgrade, because the Activation Code is different.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuomik View Post
It is exactly the same software, but you need to buy the Student version in order to get 4-year free upgrade, because the Activation Code is different.
I think that's what I get if I buy what I linked (unless I'm wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H. View Post
Columbia grad here. It's exactly the same software. I bought 9 and just got 10 as part of the "4 years of free upgrades". Couldn't be happier.

I would just go for 10 though keep in mind you need to save sessions in the older format ".ptf" to work with 9 that may be in school labs.

Cheers.
Thank you! How did you like Columbia? I'm still on my 1st semester.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Definitely great teachers in the audio program, I wish I took more classes there. Just get involved and most importantly, network. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Can you still get free upgrades after you are not a student (technically)? I'm at the end of my student-dom I think. I want to get from 8LE to 10 cheap. Sounds like if I can get the deal on 9 (even 10 is $300 looks like though). But if 9's even cheaper of course, go that way...