Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Question Pro Tools|HD 9 causing system crash when idle?

Hello DUC folks. I've been wrestling with this problem for a little while, but it's sort of like looking in a dark cave without a flashlight. I'm not quite sure WHAT to look for or WHERE, so I come here requesting help.

We've got a Mac Pro here at work running Pro Tools|HD 9, v9.0.5. Over the past few months, the Mac has suddenly crashed (gray haze, big power button logo, shutdown notice in multiple languages), just out of the blue, several times and without any sort of reasonable pattern. I've thrown it through all manner of tests -- Disk Utility/Disk Warrior, ONYX, DigiTest, etc. -- and we've brought it into the Genius Bar twice, thanks to our AppleCare coverage. They weren't able to find anything, and aside from a few minor cleanups that ONYX did, none of the other utilities needed to do anything major, either. But the problem persists, and it's so sporadic that it's really hard to track down.

One common factor seems to be that the machine crashes while idling, and while Pro Tools is NOT running, it doesn't crash. I can't confirm that Pro Tools is the culprit, but all signs point to it as being the issue, as the computer only seems to die while Pro Tools is running. The main engineer (I'm 3rd in the chain of command here) says that she thought iZotope's plugins might have been having issues, but they seem to all be running fine now, so we're not sure where to look or what to test.

I'm including a pastebin of our list of plugins, in case that can shed any light on what might be causing the issue: http://pastebin.com/AQ0GdDtC

Any help or suggested tests/troubleshooting is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools|HD 9 causing system crash when idle?

Are you power saver prefs all shut off, namely the computers ability to sleep?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools|HD 9 causing system crash when idle?

We changed those settings in Preferences, and things seem to be running smoothly now. But I think you're right in saying that THAT might have been a source of the problem, if not THE problem itself. Thank you!