Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 AM

Default /3gb swith causing system crash on boot

I have tried the /3gb switch on my laptop this week and I cannot stop if from crashing

Running Acer 7730 laptop 4 gig ram XP pro SP3. triple booting with xp, osx and linux

When I select the /3gb switch option on boot. I get the windows loading screen and it stays on that for about just over a minute as it its trying to boot. (does not freeze the blue bar just keeps progressing) it then crashes and I have to reboot. ON rebooting it does a full chdisck check when I select the normal xp boot option. Normal booting of xp causes no problems.

Anyone have any ideas what causing this.

I don’t have normal boot though in fairness so not sure if this is casuing the problems.

I have osx86 installed as dual boot on 2nd partition of first hardrive and also linux installed on small 3rd partition on 1st hardrive. I boot using grub 2. but actually have two bootloaders effectively. The first one being grub which then lets me choose XP, OSX or Linux. Once XP is selected . It boots me into the windows bootloader… I have configured the boot.ini. To include the Main XP , XP with /3gb switch and also OSX86.

I have the chain0 file in C: drive that the boot.ini points to in order to boot the osx86 installation.

Every other option for booting works fine but the switch keeps causing the crash as above.

I appreciate this is maybe getting a bit pc geeky for an audio forum but if anyone can point out if any of the above is casuing my problem then would be grateful.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 AM

Default Re: /3gb swith causing system crash on boot

John since XP works fine booting without the /3Gb switch I would add the USRVA option to the string and set it to something like like 2500. Google boot.ini and you should pull up tsome info for setting the user varible. I'm guessing that its trying to grab some memory that something like the video card needs and crashing. As far as Grub and OSX86 go well your kinda on your own. I've dabbled in bot but not all three at once.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Thanks. will try that.

That actually make sense as it is onboard shared graphics card i have with this laptop.

At work just now so will try when i get home this evening.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
John since XP works fine booting without the /3Gb switch I would add the USRVA option to the string and set it to something like like 2500. Google boot.ini and you should pull up tsome info for setting the user varible. I'm guessing that its trying to grab some memory that something like the video card needs and crashing. As far as Grub and OSX86 go well your kinda on your own. I've dabbled in bot but not all three at once.
+1 on the switch

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM

+1 more for the USERVA switch. I used this on my old system to solve a similar issue.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Had the same problem with a triple boot. I added /PAE at the end of the boot.ini string. Also have a Asus P5K mobo and disabled the Intel speedstep.

If you can adjust these things in your BIOS.

CPU Ratio Control [AUTO]
C1E Suppory [Disabled]
Max CPUID Limit [Disabled]
Vanderpool Tecnology [Disabled]
CPU TM Function [Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
PECI [Enabled]
Intel SpeedStep [Disabled]

The vanderpool and speedstep disabling and adding PAE to the boot.ini string worked for me.

Goodluck.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 AM

just to add...i definitely see the switch more as a necessity on a laptop w/integrated graphics than a desktop w/video card. i do not use the switch on my Q6600/P35 build

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Right, adding the uversa swithc definitlely helped. Its now booting but now i have a different problems. This time with the onboard graphics.(intel 4 series express chipset). Its defaulting to a very low resoltuion and low bit colour rate. Its then not letting me change the settings. I go to control display and change the settings to 1400x900 and 32 bit colour but it defaults to to 600x480 and 4bit colour rate. EVen though its saying its changed to my preferred settings.

Does not appear that the driver is loading for my display card. From the endless reading i have done for the last few hours i think the operating system is now not giving enough resources for the video adaptor. Have tried numerous different switch.... tried add /basevideo thinking this would work but no dice.

baws!!